Do you think it's normal for a 7yo to

still not have the common sense to run out into parking lots without looking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know that's it's completely "uncommon" Children at 7 still don't have the full grasp of cause and effect - hell, my 31yo husband still has issues with that one from time to time - so they don't tend to fully understand that there is danger in things like this.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• boy or girl? I think boys have one track minds. So I think if a 7 year old boy has his mind on something else, like excited about where you are going, then it's normal. For a girl, I'm not sure because my 4 year old girl knows about car safety and even gets nervous when she hears a car start up or something. She will run off to the side to be sure they don't hit her.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Speaking from an honest perspective, and considering we just had parent teacher conferences, my son is the smartest kid I know. When it comes to school and knowledge. However, his reasoning skills and common sense are completely lacking. He will be 9 next week. I have a friend that has a six year old son, a ten year old girl and a ten year old boy, They are on the higher end of average as far as their class rank. I have heard of them doing some of the dumbest stuff ever. Like the 6 year old placed his hand on the burner of the stove after his mother told him he needed to get away from the stove because it was hot. Why? He said "I wanted to know if it was really hot or just kind of hot".
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It has been so long since I have read about things like this, so I can't tell you where to look, but yes, it is normal. There is a significant change in the brain that happens with spaciality and realizing consequences that happens not before eight years of age. Having eight children, and three of them over eight years old, I can tell you that is true.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 3:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it's normal. I know it's wrong to cut someone off in traffic, but sometimes I'm not paying 100% attention and I accidentally do, realizing after - jeesh, I didn't mean to do that, that was stupid. To think a kid won't be distracted or err in things they "know" would be unrealistic.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think its quite normal, my 8 yr. old occasionally still does one track mind lol
    sammy1979

Answer by sammy1979 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it can be completely normal. My oldest is always thinking of something, and it rarely the task at hand. He is constantly walking into things as he walks and couldn't care much less about the world around him as he walks. He is a very gifted student and his mind is always working. My other 2 are also bright but their brains work in a much different way, so they are far safer in the world around them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i would say its normal! My son is 6 1/2 y and he still runs out on the parking lot, and when i ask him if he knows what can happened he'll say "Yes! A car can kill me!". He really don't think about what can happen, in his head its just "i need need need to get over there"....
    i guess like one of the moms said even if he is 30 y there still will be some of that "not thinking before acting!" lol
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The human brain isn't fully mature until the age of 25. So for a 7 year old to not THINK about the consequences of his actions is completely normal.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if its like a daily thing, all the time, runs out in front of cars with no fear what so ever. then no, but sometimes doesnt pay attention to the surroundings? yes its totally normal
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2010