How do I get my almost 8 month old to eat his baby food?

My son will be 8 months old Nov. 20th. Normally he eats whatever we give him, now that we are starting to give him some table food he sometimes will not eat his baby food. At lunch today he shut his mouth and was shaking his head no. He will not eat and I feel bad because its like I'm not feeding him. I do give him some actually fruit then like a banana or peaches. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might get him to eat.

hlank

Asked by hlank at 12:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd has days when she won't eat pureed anything, which is ok since she can chew so I just add the pureed veggies to whatever we are having so she's getting enough nutrients. As long as your LO is able to chew he can have whatever table foods you have. Just watch out for spicy foods, nuts, egg whites and the other not before one year foods.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yea he can chew he has 8 teeth already....sometimes I just feel like hes not getting enough. Hes my first so I worried a bit.
    hlank

Comment by hlank (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I also fear that my dd isn't getting enough, that's why I mix in a little of the baby food with the table food. Like when we have spaghetti, I mix in some baby food carrots with her sauce, that way she is getting more than just tomatoes. I've done the same thing with swedish meatballs, stroganoff, fetuccine alfredo, mashed potatoes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• my daughter is almost 8 months too on the 29th of nov and she hates gerber foods i try to give her chicken soup the one that i make and she loves it -- i started her on those fruities puffs and she loves them as well and she dosnt have any teeth yet--try to give him natural foods --oh and when babies suddenly stops eating they might be getting sick too so maybe check hes tempature ..
    Genesis29

Answer by Genesis29 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• He has just had real food with actual taste in it and doesnt want to eat that crap anymore : ) Just start feeding him real food. Spaghettios always went over well with mine...they made a hell of a mess, but they ate them and were happy. Feed him the same thing u eat, just chop it up tiny. He will be happier and eat alot more.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son just turned 9mo. and he only eats table food, try peaches, pears, toast, (peeled and cut) grapes, plums, cooked and chopped carrots, broccoli, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, puffs, chicken, turkey, tofu . My son has always been on homemade baby food so the transition was really easy and the doctor said regardless on number of teeth if he can have it as long as he's not ganging on it. But the doctor also warned that he should be able to pick the food up on his own.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010