How do you find a job these days?

It use to be you looked through your classifieds in the newspaper, especially on Sundays. Now it seems no one uses the paper. I search craigslist and other job sites, but they have so many scams, it's hard to trust. Often times I send a response asking for more information about a company before I will send my resume, but I don't feel like it's really a great idea. Especially because most of them don't respond :)
Any advice?

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 1:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• You're supposed to "know people." If you don't you'll only ever qualify for crap jobs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Snagajob.com, Monster.com & YahooJob.com

Craigslist & Backpage do have some, but like you said there is a lot of junk their too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• go directly to company websites
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• company websites, careerbuilder.com
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Does your state have a website where you file for unemployment? They usually also have a job search option there. Just a tip about Craigslist, if you find a great sounding job, they should have a website, phone number or business name, if they don't, email them without sending any personal information. Tell them you are interested but need further information before sending a Resume. If they are legit, they will send that information to you. Otherwise, expand your search. I know here in St. Louis, it's hard to even find people to fill all the jobs! In Marion, Illinois, the Pepsi plant is so desperate to find workers, it's offering FREE CDL training for all potential drivers... How awesome is that?!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• First, the paper is still a good start. Second, try online job boards. Third, get yourself a LinkedIn profile and make it look as great as you can. Fourth, network both on and off line. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Fifth, try talking to temp agencies. You might have to start off temp-to-hire. Sixth, be persistant and keep on trying.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm a big believer in networking on and off line. The last 6 jobs that I've had as an adult were referrals.
    berrymorin3

Answer by berrymorin3 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010