Private schools/Home schooling/Public

Which would you preffer for your children, and why?

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I prefer public school for the basics and then we supplement at home ALOT. At home we work on many things she isn't gettig exposure to at school. We do alot of science, alot of reading and math, and alot of natural exploration.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I home school my DD. I like it because my DD is very well advanced for her age, I can focus solely on her,, her strengths, her weaknesses. I can decide what curriculum is important & needed. I do not have to worry about her being distracted by things that are not important. I can decide what kind of influences my DD has. I can better prepare her for her future. Just some reasons.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We are leaning toward private school, because we don't like what public schools are turning into. Plus, you have a bit more say over their education when you choose a private school (yes, I realize you have lots of say with home schooling, but we'd prefer he be in school with other kids).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I used to be against homeschooling and had a lot of the negative opinions about it that many people still do, but thankfully, God really changed my heart. I knew we didn't want to continue with public school after our oldest had gone for a year, but couldn't afford private (we have eight children now). I began praying diligently about what to do and that God would make the answer clear to me. Very quickly, I had this very strong change of heart, and KNEW that I would homeschool my children from then on. I only wish I had seen the light sooner, because it was the best decision I have ever made. I would never dream of anything else now. This is the right thing for us, and we all love it!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 3:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• OH! Hard question! We are in preschool right now and researching our options. Currently he is in a private Montessori setting that is from age one until the end of ninth grade. I LOVE his school. Small, comfortable, and a wonderful philosophy on learning that works well for my child. It fits her personality. It does not fit our budget. So....we have hard choices. We may do one more year of this private school he has been in since he was one. I love the Montessori method and our local public school we are zoned for has a Montessori program. It is a good option but there are differences. One is the ratio of students to teachers. At our small private school it is 17 kids, a very large classroom, and three certified teachers in the room. In the public version it is two teachers to 23 kids. Yikes. But that is about the right ratio in public school. I love the diversity in the public school.  There are trade offs and benefits

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• to both. Limitations to both. Hard. I can also look at all the public schools in our area and pay out of district fees. We have interesting options: Montessori, International Baccalaureate, traditional settings, and a Charter school.  Or continue with our private setting.  Perhpas looking at home schooling.  But home schooling, the way we would set it up, is more expensive than private.  I like having my options and am so lucky we do have the abilities to have those options available.  There is now wrong answer...it is about finding the best fit for my child.  My heart breaks for parents who have more limited choices or no choices at all.  I am a little nervous about what we decide.  My guess is we will try the public Montessori for financial reasons and knowing he can always go back to private school if that is in his best interest. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Where I live the middle school is like a jail so my son went to private even though it was not the best...
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My kids are in private school and will be through middle school. After that they can decide. Their school has built my shy, quiet children into little leaders within the school. It has taught them community and values that are core to us and our home as well as the world at large. My 12 yr old is out fund raising for a non-profit not only because it is the right thing to do, but because he has fallen in love with helping others.

We are very lucky in this school. No where else have I seen upper classmen highschoolers befriending and working on projects with late elementary kids and middle schoolers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I love my son's private school and I am really stuggling with this issue for next year. He will be in Kindergarten then and I am not sure I can afford private school. I would love to homeschool him, but I have work and school as well so i would still have to find somewhere for him to be while I was gone. There are pros and cons to all three. My least favorite is public school, but it may end up being the only option.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I was aiming for public school but with the issues my child is having going to public schools and no help from the school or the teacher I am thinking about homeschooling next year. I cant afford private school.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 11:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010