Toddlers and Speech

My DD will be 2 on the 17th and ive been reading up on some milestones for her age group. She seems to be behind on whats average. Her vocabulary consists of no, here you go, sissy, uppie, thankie, her own name, mama, and dada, night, goodbye hi and some. The rest is pretty much babble my husbands jokes and says "are you speaking korean or german?" I'm wondering if maybe this is because her sister is only 5 months and of course uses crying and other noises to communicate? Is there any way to help her speech?

ArmyAngel18

Asked by ArmyAngel18 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you use baby talk when you speak to her? We speak to our son with big words, just like we would speak to each other. He has well over 1,000 words, and he's almost 27 months.
    Part of it may just be her personality. We have a friend who's son just turned 2 on the 1st, and he's just not as verbal as our son is. It's just the way he is; it's not that he's not smart or has a speech issue.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes we haven't used baby talk with her ever not even with her sister because we dont want them to start talking that way. She puts the ie at the end of some of her words herself... and if she starts to whine we as her to use her words and she walks away from us.
    ArmyAngel18

Comment by ArmyAngel18 (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Just talk to her sweetly as much as you can. Do you try to ask her to say certain words to get her working on them? Like a toy or book she likes, just keep saying the word to her over and over. Do you have any family that can objectively tell if she is behind? Sometimes looking in from the outside makes it easier to see problems, do you know what I mean? Maybe you have friends or family that you could ask if she seems delayed to them. All of our kids have been such talkers that I would notice if one wasn't. My little nephew is the same age as our 2 year old and there is a huge difference, but he will catch up, and we can see improvements all the time. You could also ask your doctor at her checkup.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 3:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010