If my husband wants a divorce do I have to?

pinkdinkyone

Asked by pinkdinkyone at 6:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Not signing won't keep him from leaving and starting his new life, getting a new home, a new woman. You'll just be legally separated, which is all he wants.. to be away, signature or not. So dragging it out doesn't really do anything to help ya. Good luck.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No, but in that situation he simply goes to court and it is ordered. If only ONE party wants a divorce, there is nothing stopping them from getting it, you do not have to agree with him in order for it to happen.

Were I you, I would be seeking legal council. Now.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It will more than likely still happen but the process with be dragged out in court because it is contested. It could get nasty is DH is determined. I agree with Obbie get good legal council.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Like the others say it wont stop him from leaving. And if there are kids evolved you two have to try and make you relationship as non married Parents living separately work as well. It isnt good for the kids if you two are constantly fighting.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You don't have to but with my divorce. They proceeded without me there. I was divorced and didn't even know it. But...you do have to sign the papers to be divorced, but when you go to court it costs alot more. believe me.
    Sapphire51

Answer by Sapphire51 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If he wants a divorce he is going to get one regardless. I know its hard but sign the papers or you will just be wasting time.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If you don't want to legal matters can drag much longer...But if he is asking for divorce..why do you want to stay?
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If he wants a divorce what he's really saying is that he doesn't want you. I know this sounds harsh but why would you want to be with someone that doesn't want or appreciate you? Don't you think you deserve better? And, maybe you should do some digging as to why he wants the divorce. Find out if he's cheating, if that's the case, depending on what state you live in, this may work to your advantage.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• sorry this is happening, but I'd get legal counsel.
    there's someone out there who can want you and appreciate you. I wasn't married to the man, but I did all I could to try and salvage a more than dead situation in my 20s- when I finally walked away I found a man that treats me like a goddess- my DH.

there's better things out there for you to spend your energy on, you just need to find them.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• "...doesn't want or appreciate you? Don't you think you deserve better? And, maybe you should do some digging as to why he wants the divorce. Find out if he's cheating..."

way to jump to conclusions. The man must be up to something -- of course. Maybe its her. We don't have his side of this or know anything about this woman. Don't automatically assume things (like he's evil and she's the innocent victim) without knowing for sure. For all we know he got tired of HER cheating, had enough and left. (not saying thats the case, OP) just don't like it when people jump to a conclusion without knowing all the facts. She gave us no details yet you pulled the Cheating card right immediately. Thats not right imho.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010