Our Health insurance is changing in Jan...

Well, it is changing BAD. For the cheaper ins we have been paying for we will no longer have co-pays. ONLY a 5,000 dollar deductible. If we pay for the more expensive plan we can have a medical spending account and high co-pays. $50 a vist. We are told this is due to health care reform. How is this better? We can't eveen drop ins cause that is not legal right? Or can we still. I don't want to pay for something we can't even afford to use... KWIM

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• With the medical spending accounts or Flexible Spending Accounts, you will have to have a prescription to buy Tylenol or any over the counter medicines, with the money from that tax free account. So you have to see your doc and pay a co-pay just to buy tylenol or motrin tax free with the money you had specifically set aside for these costs, now, that makes a lot of sense.
    I don't know about any of you but our food prices are going up by leaps & bounds every week, our health insurance went up 10,000. to 15,000 a year, as far as making claims, plus it costs more per month & then it's my understanding that our health ins. policy's value, whatever the gvt decides it's worth, will be added to DH's salary, so we will have to pay taxes on it. I'm not sure we can handle these cost increases... And now the Fed plans to spend ANOTHER TRILLION DOLLARS!!! IF THIS ADMIN'S INTENTION IS TO MAKE US ALL FLAT BROKE, WOOO HOOO, THEY WON!!!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't know when the mandate goes into effect, but I think it is in 2014 as it stands now. There will be challenges to the bill due to several parts of it being considered unconstitutional. How the government can decide to mandate you to purchase a third party product is beyond me. There I was thinking it was unconstitutional but all of those that are pro-this reform are eating it up with a spoon.

Reform is needed, to be sure. But this reform is nothing more than a power grab and a wet kiss to special interests. Typical of our government.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm really sorry that you have to suffer the consequences of this new health.care. We are lucky and ours will remain the same with only a $20 a month increase in payments. I'm hoping that has something to do with my husband working for those hated Koch brothers (google it if you don't know about them) Maybe we will continue to be lucky. This is exactly what Obama and the liberals want. They want you to have to drop your insurance because it has gotten so expensive and then because you are mandated to have it you will have to go into the Obama exchanges. This will enable them in the future to funnel everyone into a single payer system. Unfortunately, you cannot even do that until 2014, Now, you just have to punt. This is why this bill needs to be repealed or at the very least all the bad parts de funded and re done. I don't' know about you but I have not heard of anyone being helped to any large degree yet.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• as far as making claims, plus it costs more per month & then it's my understanding that our health ins. policy's value, whatever the gvt decides it's worth, will be added to DH's salary, so we will have to pay taxes on it.

Ummm, I think I need a reminder.  Didn't Obama and Company excoriate McCain over suggesting that we tax health plans and then when you file your returns you get that money back every year?  So, he grilled McCain for suggesting that the govt. get an interest free loan on taxing ins. plans and then you get your money back at the end of the year, yet Obama's plan does the same thing with no return to the tax payer?  Wow, he should have been more clear on the campaign trail, but then again, I am sure that was purposeful.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You can drop it now, and you'll be forced back onto it in 2014, but most likely that same plan won't be available anymore, and if it is, it will cost even more (as will all others).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Write Obama a Letter. Maybe you'll be picked as one of the special cases when he starts campaigning again in Feb.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Your rates are going up because of health reform

bout time you admit it
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Your EMPLOYER has decided to change insurance companies to lower cost. That is and has always been an employers choice. A company's decision over what insurance company they chose has NOTHING to do with Health Care Reform. In fact, insurance companies have been increasing premiums and giving less for years now, This is the REASON for health care reform not the CAUSE.

Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My employer forced the HSA and HRA high deductible plans on us years ago. And with our 5000 plus deductibles, they went from contributing $1000 to now $250 for us. This past year i met my annual out of pocket max and have well over 6K in medical bills still unpaid. Enrolling in these plans for next year is a joke, but I don't have a choice right now. It's pretty sad we offer our bigger accounts pretty kick ass benefits, but the ins. company's own employees get the crappiest benefits available.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• OP- are you going to a HSA? All execs at my husband's Co are now going to a HSA in lieu of standard Health Insurance- our deductible is 2500. It's ok for us because we chose this years ago for tax/savings purposes. Of course, there is talk of this credit going bye-bye in the coming year, so we will have to see.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010