Will banning earmarks cut spending?

WASHINGTON — Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell says banning pork-barrel projects known as "earmarks" from congressional legislation is more complicated than it appears but that he is willing to consider such a ban.

McConnell says that ending the common practice of slipping funding requests for home-state projects into legislation won't cut spending. A ban on earmarks will only limit the discretion of where to spend the vast federal budget and not curb spending.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2010/11/07/1550444/mcconnell-says-banning-earmarks.html#ixzz14n7Yy4Gv

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.thestate.com/2010/11/07/1550444/mcconnell-says-banning-earmarks.html#ixzz14n7Yy4Gv

McConnell says Republicans are ready to cut federal spending but says banning earmarks is not a realistic way to do that.

McConnell spoke Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Agree? and if so.....Why demonize "earmarks"?
    sweet-a-kins

• A moratorium will be good in helping get this country back on track and not allowing frivolous money grabs will continue to help no matter how large or small. How can you say cutting any and all unnecessary spending available will not help.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• How can you say cutting any and all unnecessary spending available will not help.

I didn't, Mitch McConnell did

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it can help cut spending. It can also help legislation be passed on it's good for the country, rather than on bribes to individual states in order to garner support that might otherwise not be forthcoming. What a novel idea.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

So was Mitch McConnell lying or just doesn't know what he is talking about?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Darn, I thought the question was "will banning earmarks cut spending?" I didn't know I was supposed to add a bit condemning Mitch McConnell as either a liar or moron. Perhaps you should clarify what you're looking for?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

In the OP it quotes Mitch McConnell as saying it would NOT cut spending. The OP is the reason for the question

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• IDK, but I'm all for cutting spending.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2010