When does a toddler grow out of....

When can I expect my toddler to grow out of wanting to smash his hands in his oatmeal, spaghetti, etc? He's 19months and he's pretty good with a spoon and fork, although I can tell he still gets frustrated with it sometimes. Most of the times when he plays in his food is when he's close to full already, so when do they stop wanting to shove their hands in their food just for the feeling of it? :)

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is going to vary child to child. I would always let them feel the texture of things that could not be eaten with their fingers, but if I knew they were full then I simply said they were all done and cleaned up. But I feel it is important to let them know the texture of things. You control whether it is long enough to make a huge mess or simply to let them feel it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010