Does the WIC program take into consdieration childcare/healthcare costs?

I do not currently qualify for WIC based on their income chart. I work full-time, basically for the health insurance, my whole paycheck goes to daycare costs, health insurance payments and gas. Based on my husbands income we may just qualify. I have three children under 4 years old. I am not trying to take advantage of the program, but we are barely surviving.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• no they don't care about that....but they should!
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Really? The income requirements for WIC here are really high.. some of the people I know that get it make good money.. I've never actually known some one who wasn't qualified for it. And yeah, they should take that into consideration but they don't.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nope they only care about your pay before taxes....its ashame they should take other things into account. you can also try catholic charities....My husband and i just went through a hard time and catholic charities helped and angel food ministires is good too for food in the house. Good Luck.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They only go by your income.
    If your paycheck is only paying for those three things then it's a waste of a job. Health insurance is important, I understand, but if your paycheck isn't giving back to the family then it's not worth it. Either you need to ask for more money or find a better paying job. I don't agree to jumping to WIC or other government assitence unless you absolutely need to. Which in your case you do have other options.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They don't care about child care. If your whole check goes to child care why not quit, put your kids on suncap ( an insurance program for children that cost about $10 a month. Then you will qualify for wic then you can get that too. This happened to my cousin and his family. They have 4 children 5 and under and they both worked full time. They were drowing in bills so they came to me and I looked everything over and realized that the amount his wife was making was LESS then the daycare costs. She quit her job, then they were able to get wic and she stayed homw with the children. Also they saved money on going out to eat because when they were both working, neither had time to cook, now she does all the cooking.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• umm where do you live i'm curious Im in north carolina when I applied for wic I wasn't notified about an income cap they said as long as you were pregnant and had children in the home you qualified. Now as far as medicad and food assistants I know there is a cap for that I didn't qualify of which I thought was ridiculouse, and they don't take into consideration what comes out your pay just how much you get paid . See if they have a program that will help you pay for daycare my sister recives it it helps some but not all .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 10:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Here they don't take any of his income into consideration...it is for women and children only.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Each state has different guidelines. You need to check where you are. JUst go and apply.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2010