Do you agree that fat-free foods have made our society obese?

In a way, yes; people tend to eat more of that food, thinking they're doing their bodies good when, in fact, they're not.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I think it's contributed to it. But there are a lot of other factors involved. The fast food industry, repackaged foods, snack food industry, soft drinks, food ads on television, drive thrus and delivery service and the death of cooking at home in favour of restaurants have all contributed to the expanding waists. Consumerism isn't healthy and should not be the basis of a healthy lifestyle. Good food takes time to create and takes time to eat and is far more enjoyable than any quick snack.

I don't see laziness as a factor. It's not easy to go back to the kitchen and cook a good meal when you were not raised that way and eat the meal you just burnt to a crisp because you really don't know how to cook. It's hard to ignore all the messages that tell you, go ahead and order in tonight. It's not easy to step out of that world to find the other world of healthy food when you don't know how to begin. Education is needed.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think that the quick-fix, shortcut, magic-pill attitude has more to do with the obesity problem in this country than fat-free foods. People these days don't take enough personal responsibility for their health. Just because a food exists doesn't mean you have to eat it!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nope... being lazy has.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No. I think it's a combination of things. Ultimately it boils down to one not burning off more calories than they take in. I know some people have health issues related to this issue but I'm not referring to them; I'm referring to the general society.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it has helped the problem along - people see "reduced fat" or "fat free" and fail to read the rest of the label. Tons of sugar, carbs - and a TON of calories. They eat more because it's "healthy." It's ultimately the consumer's fault for not reading the label, but I do think that the packaging is a little deceiving.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No, i think a fast lifestyle mixed with fast food & laziness is what made our society fat. Everything is so easy these days, you don't even have to get out of your car to get food, go to the bank...even some liquor stores have drive throughs. I think we have enabled people to be more lazy & have made it harder to eat a whole healthy diet. We want food fast which leads to overly processed, sugary, fatty crap. If people stepped away from the frozen food section, stopped eating fast food & actually walked for only 15 minutes a day...we would have less of a problem. No one has time to cook healthy anymore and healthy food is becomming more expensive. People rely on cheap, fast, fatty, processed foods. Add laziness to that & you got a country full of fat people.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• being on the run and eating out of a fried bag is what is doing it.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I hate all reduced fat and fat free foods. I think they are disgusting and i don't know how or why people eat them.

I like diet pop though. A lot.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:24 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree with what you said, but that isn't the only answer. There are a lot of factors that go into why people eat in the manner that they do. Whether it's emotional eating, excessive eating from a disorder, etc. As well people make poor choices and excuse it away. There are a lot of reasons, but I do believe that Fat-Free foods haven't helped.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I was at my yearly check-up. In the middle of him talking to me about my gradual weight gain over several years and discussing the hazards to my health, he said "at least you don't drink diet sodas, and that's good" When I asked how he knew I didn't drink diet sodas, he said because even though I'm overweight, I don't have a muffin top-a roll of fat around my middle. He said that he has seen many patients over the years, and he started to see a commonality. Every one with a muffin top, even fairly thin women, drinks diet soda or uses a lot of artificial sweetners.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2010