Does anyone still say "rule of thumb" anymore?

What is your favorite reference to the phrase? Mine has to be from Rosengurtle Baumgartner. You get Best Answer if you can tell me the answer without looking it up.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i say it all the time to DD. Last night it was "rule of thumb, NEVER tell mommy what she needs to be doing. I'm the parent, i tell you what to do, not the other way around"

She has a knack for trying to tell me what i need to be doing around the house. It is SO ANNOYING!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I heard this all the time growing up, have no idea what the ''thumb'' part stands for.
    Maybe it's the thumb that is a different take so when the thumb rules and not the fingers it's rendered useful if it's the thumb, like it's the ......."new rule of this territory, '', or the ''rule of the home'', depending upon who's in charge of that rule at that time, which ever WORKED BEST, like the best answer ! ! ! ! !

So I'd say it's the best answer from all those rules made at some moment in time, whatever worked best.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• samurai_chica - So does mine!
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010