How can you be a good mother when your kid won't speak to you?

I have three children and none of them want anything to do with me. Since the divorce I have been cast out and I am not the one who wanted the divorce.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• What are their ages? Do you not have custody of them if they are under 18?
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Be a good mother by keeping the lines of communication open. Whether they live with you or not always be there for them and let them know they can talk to you about anything. Love them no matter what!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'd keep sending cards and telling them that you love them.
    that's the best you can do.
    what's their side of it? maybe they just need time.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Find an activity you can do with each of them. Like simply going for lunch or something. You don't mention their ages but you need to keep the communication going as mentioned earlier. You need to let them know they are loved, the family is going through difficult times, but things can get better. When you are talking to them make sure you have their attention .......no cell phones and texting........and even if they do not seem to be acknowledging you they are listening. I don't know if you can watch episodes of Supernanny online, but one of the newest shows was about this exact thing with teens in the home and the hostility they showed the mom. They were angry because the mom didn't include them enough when the divorce and remarriage were taking place. The techniques used to help the family might help you also. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sit down with them all and tell them your side of the story. How you feel about their silent treatment, etc. Then give them the chance to talk if they want to. If they feel more comfortable then have them write a letter.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Just let them know you are there for them, and let them decide. Trust me once they are grown they will come around. Sorry for your trouble!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It will take time. You must continue to try.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2010