When to take baby to dentist?

So, I called our family Dentist today and he doesn't schedule toddlers until they're 2, otherwise they (the toddler) just isn't cooperative enough. I've heard so many different answers to this from as soon as you see their first tooth to 2y/o.... so when is it?!?! My 16 month old has a mouth full of teeth (I know he has at least 14 teeth, I haven't counted this week) and I just don't know when to take him in. He isn't having any problems at all and we brush his teeth everyday. He's as cooperative as you would expect a 16 month old to be. I don't mind waiting until he's 2 to take him in, but I also don't want to feel like I'm neglecting to take him in....

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 is the average age. Have you thought of having someone bring him in for your next appointment? They can bring him back before you are completely finished and then the dentist can look at your son on your lap.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• When I called in there today the secretary suggested that same thing. I don't go in again until February... but I think that'd be a great idea.
    1st_time_mom23

Comment by 1st_time_mom23 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have been told it all depends on the dentist! My last dentist told me she didn't take her daughter until she was 4 because before that kids just won't sit still! So I didn't worry about it. Well, we got to our new station and I went into the dentist here and asked and he was shocked at what my last dentist said! He said as soon as kids get teeth they should be looked at! Then again, we have a perdiatric dentist here, so maybe that is the difference? I would say get your son in when he turns 2 since that is when your dentist will take him!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The pediatrician said to do it by age 3, and the dentist recommended age 1. We split the difference and went for the first time just after he turned 2. They said that coming in at age 2 was fine, and most of the time the first visits are about looking for major problems and most importantly going over teeth care with the parents. If you are pretty good about brushing their teeth and you don't have a big concern about the health of their teeth, it's probably fine to go at age 2. They brushed his teeth during the visit and looked around his mouth, but they did not attempt x-rays at the first visit. I assume they might try at the second visit in a few months if he's cooperative.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatric Dentists say age 1. The American Academy of Pediatrics (the docs) have long said age 2, but I think they have changed to age 1 now, inline with the "experts". The problem is finding a dentist who wants to see a younger child. In the meantime, brush your child's teeth after meals and if you see any spots, even white spots, call any dentist and ask to come in.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• the ped. dentists here say 6 months which is ridiculous!
    Audreysmommy123

Answer by Audreysmommy123 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Our dentist told us 3 yrs old that way all there baby teeth are in for sure.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatric Dentists say age 1.
    mommy223326

Answer by mommy223326 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The AAPD as well as many pedis (including everyone in my pedis practice) say 1 year. My dentist will see them as soon as they have teeth. My son was seen at 12 months and goes again at 18 months. The way i see it, the earlier they can catch any problems the better. They just did a good brushing, checked for decay and malformation, and then dabbed flouride on at his 12 month appt. It wasnt a big deal and he was an angel :) I would find a diff dentist and get your kiddo in. Thats just me though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010