nursing after teeth-

I seem to hear a lot of women claiming that you shouldn't nurse after the first tooth, there being a idea that you'll get bit.

My aunt got bit once, and all kids in my family were all nursed. even then, I can't see depriving a child of nutrition because you just might get bit. it most likely won't happen from what I've seen.

has anyone known anyone where this was a actual problem?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think a lot of babies do bite, but they don't understand. They are figuring out their teeth and it is important for us as their parent's to teach them. Z went through a phase, but I either stuck my finger in his mouth (which is how you instantly break a latch) or I would pull him into me so he had to release. He got over it really quickly and it was never even a real issue. He's got 6 teeth now (on top and bottom) and it's absolutely never an issue anymore.

I can't imagine quitting just because a baby has a tooth. Nutrition should ALWAYS be the bigger motivator.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 10:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You'll get bit at first, but eventually they learn to suck without biting. I was grazed more than once by my children when they were nursing. One thing that I always took into consideration was that they didn't know what to do with those new teeth either.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I MAYBE got bit once or twice. You teach them NOT to bite. It's USUALLY easy to do this, though all kids are different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't really get bitten, but I do get scraped every now and then. That, in my opinion, hurts worse than biting. But you either work through it or wean, whichever works best for you. We work through it, but I can definitely understand why some wean.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• When I got bit, I taught him that biting = no nursing. He learned and stopped biting. It is the same as teaching them to stop any unacceptable behavior.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010