Time to say bye bye to pacifier?

My 16 month old son still takes a paci, majority of the time just at nap time or if he stumbles upon one lying around. If he is just hanging out with it in his mouth, he doesn't care at all if I take it out. If it's nap/bedtime though, he definitely "needs" it. Now that he pretty much only takes it while he's sleeping, how do I start the weaning? Just lay him down without it? Then do I let him cry it out or what? Opinions/experiences appreciated...

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm dealling wiith the same thing.... When you figure it out please let me know!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• my daughter just turn 3 and she was the same way only took her paci at bedtime and wen she was home she was so addicted and just last week she took her self off very surprising because as much as she was addicted i new it was time but she made it easy for me one day she just stop asking for and that was 2 weeks ago lol
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Let him give it up himself. That is what I will be doing with my kids. You can set limits and rules..Like in bed at night only. He will start to understand and slowly get himself off as he gets older.

Having said that, my son was almost 2 when I took it away from him, but, I was young and dumb and listened to old ways of thinking instyead of my gut and instinct. He cried and looking back, I shouldn't have. He WOULD have done it himself once he was a little older and ready to give it up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My pediatrician told me it was fine for my kids to keep using a pacifier to sleep as long as they wanted it and I was ok with it. He said they could still have a need to suck past 18 months. He said it is really only a problem if they are using them during their awake hours because having a "plug" in all the times limits their time to practice talking and can delay speech development. After one year we only allowed pacifiers at nap time, bed time, and in the car; we hid them the rest of the time. Around 20 - 21 months we started trying naps without pacifiers, and when that went ok we ditched them at night too. The first few nights without pacifiers we scheduled errands or meals out before bedtime so the kids would come home ready to go to sleep and not have time to think about pacifiers. Only one of my twins ever asked for a pacifier after the 2nd night without.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We told our daughter at the age of 2 that the nucky fairy had to come and take the nucks away for other babies that are being born. We got them a new stuffy and left it with a note from the fairy. They were sad for a night or two but they quickly got over it! Good Luck!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son stop taking his at 10 months. We never really offered it, unless in church or bed time. So at 10 months he gave it up. For OUR house..the rule is no pacifier after 12 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• well we took our lil one off at 2yrs of age..we just took it away completly and told her we dont know where its at,go find it what did u do with it...she replaced the pacy with a toy she takes to bed each night now..let him sleep with something else,like a stuffed animal or somwthing
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• ya my daughter still has hers and i have been told to just let her get rid of it on her own time..she doesnt even use it at all when shes at daycare even nap its just other times, so now its to get rid of it except for nap and bedtime..we will see what happens
    dragonmomma02

Answer by dragonmomma02 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son was a pacfier addict. What we did was just let him have it at home until he was done with it. It is a source of comfort for him I kne w that when he was playing and just going through the day he didn't need it but then at nap time and bed time he really needed it. So we didn't let him take them out of his room. Then eventually he just stopped needing them. I was really relaxed about it because my sister took away the binkies from her girls at 1 year old and then they started to suck their thumbs. I think that is totally gross and i would keep the paciers over that any day.
    Sarahs_bowtique

Answer by Sarahs_bowtique at 9:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2010