What would you do?

Your ex calls you and asks you to be his character reference at a hearing where his most current ex is filing for a restraining order against him alleging that he is violent. In your long relationship together, he was never violent. But your ex is a jerk.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• If he wasn't violent toward you and you don't believe he was violent toward her then I would go. It sucks to have to do something nice for the jerk but that is a crap thing to have happen to him if he doesn't deserve it. Does he not have anyone else he can ask?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If he was a jerk, I wouldn't do it. Just because he wasn't violent in one relationship, doesn't mean he's not in the next. If she's going through such extreme lengths as to file a restraint, I would think he did something to her.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's not me, it's a family friend. I don't know if there is someone else he can ask.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if he was a jerk, then why?

not much info, and i am not in that situation, but i am leaning toward,...i would stay out of it
    he should have a current person stand up for him, not an old girlfriend

if he does not have people to stand up for him, then i assume there is a reason for that
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i'd say sorry, i cant help you. if he was a jerk he obviously wasn't mr. nice guy when you two were together. he may not have been violent then but obviously something was off with him for you to call him a jerk. perhaps he got worse over the years and became violent with her. and even if not, he's an ex and if you two have no relationship now i wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2010