Do you suggest getting twins (8 weeks old) on the same feeding schedule and if so, how do you do it?

laqva

Asked by laqva at 9:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My twins were on the same sched and it was hard. They cried and wanted to be fed at the same time. It was no fun. You can get them on the same sched by starting out the day that way. GL
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I tried to keep mine close to the same schedule, but my bigger twin ate more each time and could go longer in between feedings. My smaller twin had to be fed one or two times more each day. When possible I tried to get them started with their first feeding of the day together. I always wrote down who ate when and when one baby was ready to eat I'd look at my cheat sheet to see if it was likely the other baby would be ready to eat pretty soon. If it seemed likely that the other baby would also be ready for a feeding soon I'd get everything set up, wake the other baby, and try to feed them together, or I'd feed the hungry one and then wake and feed the other one. If it was pretty obvious the other baby wasn't going to be ready to eat again for a while I'd let him/her sleep. If I could see that one was likely to be ready to eat at 10 and the other at 10:30 I'd split the difference and try to feed them both at 10:15.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Because my babies didn't have the same needs, it wasn't possible to force them into the exact same schedule. My bigger baby would not eat if she wasn't ready, and trying to make her eat when she wasn't ready was frustrating for her and for me. My smaller baby really needed to eat when he needed to eat, and trying to make him wait until his sister was ready was frustrating for him and me, plus it seemed cruel. I found that synchronizing at least a few feedings and naps each day did help make the days run more smoothly, but having at least one or two separate feeding each day was nice for individual bonding time. If your babies have very similar needs and very similar eating and sleeping patterns you may be able to gently adjust them to the same schedule, but if they don't it will likely cause frustration for all of you. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't know about twins, but I'm pretty into the "on demand" sort of thing. Especially as a nursing mama.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 10:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010