Anyone know why Oregonians don't like Californians?

A friend of mine moved up to Oregon from California and she said,they don't like Californians because they were rich and disrespectful or something and Oregonians are very layed back.I've heard they trash the cars from California.My friend whom I don't talk to said the people are hopeless there,she said they are3 all really poor there.I'm wondering why she said they were hopeless,I kinda think it was their attitude about life,like they were dark,meaning rebellious,angry,sad,these were the words she used.Has anybody lived in Oregon and has felt this way?I'm thinking I'd like to visit there but not really since what she has said. Please this question is for anybody who has lived in Oregon or knows anything about Oregon.Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm a native of Los Angeles, my husband and I moved our family to Wyoming for 6 years, it's not just in Oregon, in fact many places. I was so shocked at the number of people who had hateful things to say about Californians.

They do seem to think we're all rich, and they think we sell our homes for a lot of money here, and go there and drive their home prices up. They also think that we've ruined our own state, and are going to come and ruin theirs...hmmm, many also think we're a bunch of liberals that are going there to take away their gun rights, ban smoking, and make them teach alternative lifestyles in their schools.

And the last thing I learned that so many people think, is that we think we're better than everyone else.

We made many good friends there, but there were also a lot of people who felt this way about us. There were times it really hurt, believe it or not.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Its funny that a diverse of groups of millions can be summed up with one trait. Northern California is pretty similar to Oregon. I think as far as the other states go, they're going by what they see on tv or hear through hearsay, not what they've witnessed in California. Being a native versus visiting one of the major cities is bound to be different just based on cultural differences alone. I met an online friend who is convinced that California isn't largely farmland, and I couldn't possibly know anything about agriculture. I live in Fresno, CA.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My ex-husband lived in Oregon and he loved it. He's originally from NYC. Maybe it's your friend and not the whole state of Oregon.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I know several people from california ..all i can say is i would love to visit there you cant single out a state by the rich ..rich people are everywhere and the people i know there is not rich hahahha they wish :) so that is not true in my opinion :)
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think Californians go to Oregon to retire to escape the CA state income tax (Oregon taxes in a different manner, other than income). So, I think they are resented because they've made their bundle and then move to Oregon - which has had a depressed economy for many, many years.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• And tasches...that's exactly what I mean, people think we're all rich, and have "made a bundle" here in California. The truth is, the average Californian isn't "making a bundle", and the ones who do, are less likely to leave. They can afford to stay here, and live in the expensive areas.

We leave for a lot of reasons....the ones who leave because they've made a bundle and want to spend it somewhere else are most likely in the minority, some leave because they can't afford to live here, or work is better somewhere else, some because they're tired of the city, or the taxes.....or for the same reason's anyone who moves to someplace new moves.....for a change in lifestyle, for a new experience. There are very few native Californians in Los Angeles, we welcome people from not only all over the country, but all over the world. We're just Americans like the rest of you........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010