whats the shelf life of shredded parmesan?

i think i bought it back in early june. it looks okay, not green or anything. but with this head cold i cant smell or taste anything. i made spaghetti last night and hubby killed the grated parm, i cant have spaghetti without parm even though i cant taste the difference right now lol. so what do you think, 5 months later? it's been sitting in the fridge sealed up in a bag. yay or nay?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Parmesan has a very long shelf life. In the fridge and sealed it should be good five months later. I think I have had a block for almost a year and it's still good.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There should be an expiration date on the package. The kind I buy has it on the bottom of the can. I usually store it in the freezer to make sure It lasts a long time
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Real stuff in a bag - has an expiration date. Fake stuff in a can - has an expiration date. Real stuff in a bad doesn't last as long - and once it's been opened, even sealed back up, it's only good for another week or so. But hey, if nothing else, maybe it had a little unseen penicillin attatched to help you fight off your cold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If in doubt, throw it out.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• lmao anon. very good point. too bad im allergic to penicillin, best throw it away! =)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2010