Have you notice if your child...

I was wondering if you have noticed if your child's attitude changes towards you after he comes home from school? And when he's at sschool he acts more respectable?
When I was growing up thing were alot different - I never disrespect my parents and I don't treat my son any different that my parents did - plus, my parents have my son half of the time anyways- And "YES" they treat him the same as they did me. Does anyone else seem to have this trouble with their kid?

Irontontiger

Asked by Irontontiger at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids do this every now and again - mostly on crappy days at school. The last time my son came home in a bad mood I sent to relax in his room with a snack and his toys for a good half hour, then talked about what happened to cause his grumpiness.
    1NikkiPikki

Answer by 1NikkiPikki at 10:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• my 4 year old is in such a shitty mood after school. she gets all excited walking up to the car and getting in the car, happy to see us, and then as soon as we drive away the mood kicks in. she doesnt want to talk about her day at all, and can be quite crabby. she's always tired and hungry after school, even though she sleeps and eats well there. but i was the same way with my mom, she would always ask me a million questions about school and i would be soo annoyed and just want to be left alone. now i understand what my mom went thru with me, you just want to know about their day and its frustrating that they wont tell you!

on a SN: her teacher says she's awesome in school. always sits quietly and listens. at home, she's quite the chatterbox and always super active. i was surprised to learn that her behavior is a total 180 at school, and pleased. im glad she doesn't act up at school, but sometimes i wish she'd behave that
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My oldest was like that a lot. He was very, um, over the top at home. He would yell, rage, have fits. He is still the first to get teary eyed and over react to things that bother him. The only one to ever shout "I hate you!" At school he has always been an angel and very mature. After a lot of discussion with his teachers over the years we all came to the same conclusion - he is so good at school that he needed to let it out somewhere. And home was good because he felt comfortable enough to let out his emotions. I get nothing but glowing reports from his teachers and he is nearly 13! At home it is always another story.

Be firm. Teach him by saying, we really need to do "this instead of that" like "say I am really upset and feel picked on" instead of screaming "I hate you." He might not do it but it will sink in and become apparent that it has as he matures.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, very true observation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• way at home! lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son is that way. he is 5 and in preschool for another year. they never need to redirect him even. if he gets a time out at school they ar shocked. he behaves very well there. but when he gets home it seems that he bottles some fustration from school and takes it out on me. which is fine, i would rather him behave and learn at school and i can teach him the socialization of anger.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010