Economic stress dips to 16 month low, do you agree or are you STILL stressed?

The nation's economic stress fell in September to a 16-month low, thanks to more hiring in New England, fewer foreclosures in the mid-Atlantic and declining bankruptcy filings in the Southeast, according to The Associated Press' monthly analysis of conditions around the country.

Eighty percent of the nation's 3,141 counties enjoyed some month-over-month easing of economic pain, the AP's Economic Stress Index shows. So did all but six states: Alaska, Colorado, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska and Nevada.

Counties with high concentrations of farming, mining, information technology and professional jobs suffered less hardship in September. By contrast, those with heavy proportions

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We've been wildly busy at work, they did a big coupon drop, and DH got a promotion. But we are still trying to get our savings up to pre house purchase levels, so I'm still stressed.

I'm hoping this is good news for retail in general. Last year we didn't even have a "Christmas" at work.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nope. Still stressed here. And as I read more and more about the fed and the probability of inflation, I think that the stress will increase rather than decrease.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Our 401 K is doing alright. We contribute the max (because his company does matching) and make it work. We've seen big growth, but we are using largely the riskiest stocks and things which makes me nervous. DH is handling it, and I will take over in ten, fifteen years or so, when it will require a lighter touch. Right now, he's more than doubled our money.

I hope to go to work for his company in four or five years when the kids are in school, and then we will contribute a good portion of my paycheck. so we should be ok.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• HAHAHA That bull. Wait till next week and you will hear a different story.
    I'm not overly stressed about my situation but I am worried about the future
    and the future of my kids.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have no clue what taxes will be on January 1...so I am stressed.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• .
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 10:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• and I have been surprised at how BUSY its been
    ----
    Rephrase
    We all are SURPRISED at how BUSY you've been
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• YES we are jewjew
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-relaxed-cities.html

Link to America's least stressed cities.

I am not really stressed. I was in October 2008 when I saw my retirement investments tanking...but NOW they have recovered and I think my retirement funds are secure. And I diversified and adapted. Thanks for bringing up this topic.
    I really think those of us who worked hard (sometimes at two jobs) and planned for the future will be just fine!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Not for the next 6 months anyway because I am finally entering the workforce as a DoL contractor until the base moves down to TX. It's a foot in the door, a bullet on my dried up resume, and income. Maybe I will find something down there. We shall see..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2010