Would You be willing to put the differences aside......

And work together to help rebuild America? We are more divided than ever. We need to stop with the hate on both sides and focus on the fact that we are ALL Americans and on a more basic level, we are ALL human and need to do a better job of treating each other as such.
Like JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." We seem to have forgotten this. Change starts locally. And change crosses political lines, Are you currently helping to improve your community? Do you have any ideas about how to start? Please share your thoughts!!

kittieashy

Asked by kittieashy at 10:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We who grow up with this saying understand what we should do."Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"
    But the liberals I know just do not get it, they believe everything should be given to them. They use words like "what about the children?"
    "the poor"
    There is money for the poor and needy, but the money is being taken by the lazy.

It is very hard to work with people who believe in "Entitlement"
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If there are not enough wage earners to fund the increasing number of federal entitlement programs, how does a nation "meet in the middle"?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Those of us in the middle are able to compromise, but I doubt those on the extreme right or left are willing. Look at the question on tax cuts vs spending. As a moderate, I say cut spending across the board and let the cuts expire for those in the +6 million/year earning levels. Why can't 2 solutions be equally correct and palatable? Why do many see politics as a 2 sided game where 1 group must lose everything for the other to win and control everything? Seems rather childish and IMO fuels the flames that cause divisiveness and division.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, see what Reagan did to entitlements...

I don't agree with Federally Funded entitlements. They are a major reason our nation is broke, today! See, just because I am a fiscal conservative, doesn't mean I am going to follow a right leaning politician like a .... well.... lemming... ;o) It's ok to agree with many policies and disagree with many others... FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I read the Preamble of the US COnstitution to say, "PROMOTE the general welfare"... Progressives interpret it to mean~ PROVIDE WELFARE.... So, where is the middle?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We can dare to dream, but our country is so divided that we let the news and politicians decide where we should direct our attention, what to be angry about, who the "bad guys" are, and what political party is best. I can say that I would love more than anything for us to put aside all of our differences and work towards the common good of each and every one of us and not towards the government, politicans, corporations, etc.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• work towards the common good of each and every one of us

Because of FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCES, you and I may see a different path to achieve 'common good'.... Some see the common good~ as the Government's responsibility to PROVIDE for them in an effort to make life more "fair"..... Other's see it as the Government's role to Promote OPPORTUNITY (and not provide it). Who is right? Where is the middle?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well, from the responses so far, I think the answer is no. Someone mentioned how people came together on 9-11. How sad is it that it takes a national tragedy that extreme for us to work together.As for the original question, yes I do help in my community. I work somewhere between 20-40 hours a week as a volunteer with girl scouts keeping those programs going in our community & helping the girls give back as well. We work with lots of shelters - animal, women's, homeless , soup kitchens, food banks, head start, we plant flowers & trees in our parks & at our schools, we pick up trash, we visit nursing homes. I volunteer to help tutor kids who have fallen through the public school cracks, I donate time (and when I can money) to worthy causes. Giving back to your community is not hard, and it doesn't have to take a lot of time or money. I really wish people could see that if we all did a little, no one would have to do a lot.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• She's a DNC volunteer or plant, or being paid by someone to stir shit up at CM. LOL..

No, remember she claims she is part of the "working class"... Overworked (but time to be on CM all day while "at work") and yet somehow I am sure she thinks she is underpaid, too...  ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Putting aside differences when they are foolish and petty is correct. But in some matters people have to hold to what they firmly believe is best. There will always be winners and losers in any debate. We need to come to some SERIOUS workable consensus. This nor any other country will ever achieve perfection. It is not humanly possible to please every single citizen. So let's stop this "pie in the sky" attitude and get to work on real, effectual, changes that are responsible and proper responses to the needs of our country. As citizens let's stop looking at Washington as a savior. Let's stop all this special interest, flavor of the month, I need a bigger piece of the pie, attitude. I believe the biggest problems we face have to do more with social engineering and this is NOT the job of the government.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2010