Why does my 2 1/2 year old do this?! Please help me!

My daughter will be 3 in like 45 days- I'm at a loss...huge loss!
1. my daughter puts things in her mouth left and right- I took her to the Dr. and he's researching it. Cuz he doesn't even know why. I'm afraid she's going to choke.
2. Today she was pulling paper out of her nose. I don't know if there is more in there, so now we have to go in AGAIN.

Also while I was at the doctor, her lungs and such sounded fine, he didn't know why she had a bad cough like she does.
Do you know if something stuck up a nose would cause a raspy voice/cough?

I've tried EVERYTHING to make her listen. I swear she's been to the doctors for stuff like this more than any other child. Our insurance is over the limit, so now we pay out of pocket.

What do I do here?! I just want her to listen!

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter use to do that, I was told it is like information going in, they are just exploring the objects! My daughter had a 98% cloged throat so she had to have her tonsis and adnoids taken out and that seemed to help! So that being cloged she always wanted her mouth open to breath right so I Guess putting things in her mouth helped keep her mouth open. She would drool a lot and breath heavy. Good Luck!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sounds like an OCD. Perhaps something she swallowed is lodged in her esophagus and her body is trying to expel it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I used to work at a peds office and remember having a child come in with stuff in her nose constantly, dog food, watch batteries, rice. It was crazy. The only way the mom knew was there was a foul odor coming from her nose. Not to say it's normal but it is common. Foreign objects in the nose c an definitely cause infections, colds, breathing problems. You have to just watch her extra careful, explain to her she is going to be sick if he keeps doing this. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They talked about that before too! She drools like no other- and she does breath heavy.

I'm so lost on why/what do do, i'm like in tears.
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• have you thought about doing time out chair with her when she puts things in her mouth or nose? even at 2-1/2 they will understand this but you have to be consistant and follow thru it may take several attempts but time out works.
    njann65

Answer by njann65 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Done it all. Time outs/taking away toys/loss of privileges. I get nowhere!
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2010