daughter being bullied

My daughter is ten. She is very shy and gets bullied alot. There is one girl in particular, tries to get her to curse, do things she shouldn't be. She rides her bus, I have talked to the bus driver. They have assigned seats, so she made sure they weren't close. At school is where I am having the problems. I talked to the principal since they aren't in the same class. He says unless he catches her, he can't do anything. This is the principal, to a elem. school of about 300-400. My question is what is the chances of him catching her. My daughter doesn't want to go to school, can't get to ea much. Where do I go from here?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 10:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tell her to turn around and knock the crap out of her...i know not a popular answer but she needs to stand up for herself or its not going to stop.
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 10:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• As a person who was tourmented for years in school I have a few suggestions. First, don't tell your daughter to ignore it, you can't ignore hateful hurtful words and actions no matter how hard you try.....and ignoring it when others see the bully doing it will just let others think they can get away with it. She needs to either be very loud and yell at this girl to stop being a jerk and to grow up...basically bully and embarass this kid....BUT this risks retaliation and it getting worse too.

You can also FORCE the teachers and principal to be more proactive. Tell them that is NOT good enough, with kids bullying other TO DEATH you will not allow them to stand idly by, it's their job to protect your child when she is in their custody. Tell him you will call every news reporter, every local news station, the major, the superintendant, PICKET the damn school with signs saying "This school SUPPORTS BULLYING".....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You have brought it to the schools attention and they are not doing anything to resolve the bullying. So take it a step up and put it in writing with the district, file a grievance with the district against the school, the principal and the bully. If the district does not do anything to resolve this, then I would seek out an attorney ASAP.  Document everything in writing to show that you have been trying to get this resolved and the school and personnel would not and/or did not help. Good Luck.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• So sad... I was never bullied but I very much new of it being issues while in school.. most of it passes but it sometimes takes years and the mental torment must be horrific. If it is affecting your daughter and her ability to strive, can you have her moved to a new class further away or a new school? I am not sure Mommy, I'm so sorry.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well, I know it's not the ideal answer, but your daughter may need to learn how to be self honoring, and stand up for herself instead of trying to avoid it. Think about it, what would we be like as adults if we didn't stand up for ourselves. We can't always lay the responsibility on a school to decide whos bullying and whos not, especially when everyone doesn't see whats going on all the time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Have you talked to her teacher to try to keep an eye open to catch this bulling? Ask if there is a certain person your daughter can go to if it is happening? Bulling Sucks! I was too in school and I feel it should be on top of in schools these days! Love to your daugter! I hope it gets better for her!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm just saying, you can't move her, and change everything every time she has a problem with someone. Maybe learning how to work these problems out could be rewarding. A great life skill.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have tried to get her to ignore her. I know alot of times if they see it doesn't bother you they stop. She keeps saying she doesn't want to be ugly. I try telling her that's not being ugly, just trying to prevent further heartache. One of those times you wish you could take the pain for them.
    arenad

Comment by arenad (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Dealing with her, is not neccesarily mean ignore her. Not allowing her to treat her that way, is what I'm getting at.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• And finally if they are still being jerks and NOT stopping it before it's really bad, then the last resort is pulling your child and homeschooling.

My kids are only 6 and 10 months. My 6 year old is in 1st grade and thankfully there hasn't been any bullying yet, but I will pull him in a heartbeat if it every happens. I won't let my kids go through what I did growing up.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2010