Surrogacy=adoption?

I saw someone post that surrogacy is in a sense adoption. How is that possible? All a surrogate does is incubate someone elses child. How is that adoption?

Adoption is when you assume the parental rights of someone elses child who is already born. Am I missing something?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Adoption

• See, 2ndtime, you are capable (albeit in a round about way) of actually answering the question instead of just criticizing & putting down everyone else. Hope you teach your child better manners.
    Anonymous

• When will cafemom go back to the old way where you didnt gain points for answering questions. It was so much nicer when the people who responded actually knew something about the topic other than what they see on tv. .
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• sometimes it's traditional surroagacy where the surrogate's egg is used with the father's sperm and then the mom would have to do a step parent adoption of the baby once born.

keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I know a couple of birthmoms whos surrogacy turned into an adoption. Traditional surrogacy is the same thing as losing your child to adoption.
    BeJuicy

Answer by BeJuicy at 1:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Since you're not satisfied with the answers here why not go back to the post you're referencing and ask there?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think even "Incubating" a child in your body, you have a emotional connection to it. But besides that...legally...its IS a form of adoption because you have to sign legal papers so someone else besides yourself can parent the child legally. If you didnt sign any documents you could just give birth & keep the baby ..even if it was not genetically yours but because there are legal papers involved you dont get to do it.
    Anonymous

• But if a surrogate uses a DONTATED egg, there is no need for adoption papers. The egg was donated. Sperm banks don't have to do that.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• http://adopting.adoption.com/child/surrogacy.html

This outlines when Surrogacy becomes adoption.....it is a state to state case. 

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My friend at church was a surrogate, it was the couple's egg and sperm and she signed legal documents before going through with it. I just don't see how that's adoption.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Because it's gone, and it really isn't relavant. I was asking why people think that. Who cares what I think of the answers. Sooo, if you'd like to stick to the discussion that would be great!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010