Atheist Christian Ministers?

"I am an atheist," says "Jack," a Southern Baptist with more than 20 years in ministry.

"I live out my life as if there is no God," says "Adam," who is part of the pastoral staff of a small evangelical church in the Bible Belt.

I'll post the link for the full article below, but it seems to me that if you aren't of the faith, you shouldn't be leading the flock as if you were.

How would you react if you found that your religious leader wasn't actually a believer?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would be VERY upset to say the least.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• First off I wouldn't call them atheists as they aren't sure if they still believe or not, they merely have doubts. An atheist states without doubt, "There is no God". However I think it is beneficial that they are focusing on the parts of teh Bible they do agree with. One does not have to be religious or a Christian to see the good things that are portrayed int he Bibke such as being kind to one another. On the other hand if it gets out their congregation may reject them for it. I would say that tehy don't have to leave their "profession" altogether, but perhaps they would feel more comfortable preaching at a Unitarian Universalist Church as opposed to one focused solely on Christian principles.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would be saddened and ask them to step down for a season until they decide which way they want to go.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• BTW: You cannot be an athiest and a Christian at the same time :-)
    Shaneagle777

• A square peg does not fit into a round hole---- or however it goes.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm not really surprised. I've heard comments many times here the truly saved cannot lose their faith, but this helps to show it can happen.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• A square peg does not fit into a round hole

Actually that is all a matter which is dependant on the sizes of the peg and the hole. I can fit a VHS movie through a basket ball hoop. This would be a loose example of a square "peg" fitting through a round hole. So a square peg CAN fit through a round hole so long as the hole has a diameter larger than the width and length of the peg.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• it seems to me that if you aren't of the faith, you shouldn't be leading the flock as if you were.

Sounds like the perfect description of the political Christian right. Course, they don't brag about it, but they've been caught on recordings before admitting that they just say what they think people want to hear to keep votes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would find it a little odd that someone who is an atheist would want to be in the leadership position of a church.

Labellevie

Answer by Labellevie at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010