Is it weird for a 50yo woman to NOT have a driver's license?

My MIL never got a driver's license and refuses to try. It's really irritating with the holidays coming up. We only live 30min away, but that's an hour drive to pick her up and an hour drive to take her home.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• My future mil doesn't and it drives me crazy. She is always calling my fiance' and asking him to pick her up and take her places. Me and my fiance live together and it is hard to be understanding when we are about to go do something and all the sudden she needs a ride. Once, we were on our way to a friend's party and she called from her work ( an hour a way) and expected him to pick her up and take her home. We had to do it cause it was downtown and there was no one else to pick her up. She works 5 days a week and until about 6 months ago she called him at least once a day to either take her to work or pic her up from work. I guess it bothers me the most because she doesn't plan ahead half the time, she just calls when she needs it and expects the help. Plus we can only afford one car right now so it is a really big inconveince and the gas we burn on her is crazy. (sorry to vent on ur question) i can def relate though
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No it isn't weird.
    Either she does not care to learn or feels she won't get it or she just plain don't want to learn. IDK
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it is different. I can't imagine not having a driver's license but I know several women of varying ages who don't. I think it is a fear or anxiety issue. Sometimes it can be helped but most times it is just something you have to live with. Maybe if your festivities during the holidays run late into the evening, have your MIL stay over so you don't have to do the drive twice in one day.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• That makes me jealous when I hear people dont drive by choice. I have seizures and can't drive. That's hard with three small kids. Have you ever mentioned taking her to get them?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• yes, my aunt doesnt have one the worst part is that 10yrs ago her husband my uncle got a tumor,cancer came from it& lost his vision due to it, these past 10yrs she has never tried getting her license&expects evryone who is at home to take them to his Drs follow up,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I didn't get mine til I was 25, and honestly I only got it because I live on a HUGE hill that I couldn't push the kids and the groceries up... Chances are if she's gone 50 years without one, she sees no reason to get one now.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It is a bit unusual, but maybe when she was young she had no opportunity to learn to drive. Maybe her husband didn't want her to learn. Why not ask her, in a loving way, and see if she would like to have the independence that driving would give her. There are driving schools that know how to deal with this. I taught my son to drive by going to church parking lots during the week, and a nearby business that was closed on Sunday. An empty parking lot is a perfect place to learn.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Hey I'm 32 and don't have one, my mom doesn't have one either, though she did years ago before I was born. LOL I had my permit for 16 years and it finally expired a year ago. I just don't want to drive. I walk or ride my bike
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• its odd, but not uncommon...i know a 40yr old man who is in the process of getting his liscence...hems been driving since he was 13 and just never got pulled over til recently. he said he never had a reason to get it til he got in trouble. some people are just afraid of driving though...and frankly if someone doesnt feel like they can safely drive a car, i'd rather them not be on the road. i'd go get her, but i would make sure it was when it was convienient for me.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It is not uncommon in the area that I am from. My grandma never got her license and of her 4 girls the oldest doesnt have hers, two just got them a few years ago and the youngest of them didnt get hers until her late 20's early 30's. The oldest just turned 60 and the youngest is 51 now. I taught my mom how to drive just before she turned 50 and helped her get her license. I think it was more common for a woman to be a housewife back then and rely on their husband but times are changing and you dont see it as much now.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2010