Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Any advice on how to get some sort of pain killers from my doctor?

I've been having pain in my lower right abdomen. They've done ultrasounds, a CT scan, referred me to another doctor. And we still don't know what's wrong. I've had 2 c-sections and so the thought was scar tissue, so I did massage and ultrasound therapy for that. Didn't work.
Just because they can't find what's wrong doesn't mean I'm not in pain. I could barely sleep last night because it hurt so bad.
I've asked straight out, can I get something for the pain. She tells me to alternate ibuprofen and tylenol.... It doesn't work. I tell her that, and still nothing. My stomach is getting to the point where it's ripped apart from all the ibuprofen I've been taking!


Asked by MNMamaOf4 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

Level 4 (35 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Instead of going through the trouble of changing doctors just yet, why not just say to your doctor what you are saying to us? The squeaky wheel gets the oil. They don't have a pain meter to measure your pain, you have to speak up.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • See a different doctor. Some doctors are more open to pain meds than others, she may be a little afraid of addiction issues. I know when my DH was struggling with his addiction early on "I'm in pain" was often something he used to get pain meds, even though they couldn't find a reason for the pain...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • I would ask her for it and tell her it is not working anymore and it is making you feel sick. Have you seen a physical therapist? It may be a pelvic or hip thing.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 11:03 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Try going to a chiropractor. Is it contant pain or occasional?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • I did ultrasound therapy and massage therapy with a physical therapist. Her other thought was that it was a round ligament that just didn't bounce back after my last pregnancy, she said that it would require surgery to fix it, but I can "replace" it by strengthening my abdominal muscles. So we did some abdominal strengthening exercises. Didn't work - it's hard to do sit-up related exercises when it feels like my insides are ripping apart. The pain is like a sharp stabbing pain. When I sneeze or sit up it's tearing. So not fun!

    Comment by MNMamaOf4 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • OTC meds are not the answer for pain management, try to see a better doctor or try holistic approach. Most doctors would deter you from using Tylenol and ibuprofen every day for an extended period of time. An internist would likely prescribe painkillers there's also methadone clinics not just for junkies but also for pain management this would be a last resort though .


    Answer by GINSMUM123 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • It's always at least a dull ache. Sometimes (like last night) it's way more intense. I got a grand total of 2 hours of sleep, and not even very good sleep because of it.

    Comment by MNMamaOf4 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Ya know what hun, if you need it, get it. You will get some rest for now. Not everyone gets hooked on pain killers. I have PCOS and was on pain pills for 6 mos. When they were done, they were done. I'm fine, and I don't use them anymore. I didn't need rehab or anything else. You know your situation better than anyone. I know what it's like to NEVER get a break from pain when you have been in it for so long and tried everything else.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • keep on at them or get a second opinion

    Answer by san78 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Id try different Drs

    Answer by sstepph at 1:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

Next question in Health

Next question overall (Religion & Beliefs)
Atheist Christian Ministers?