"Something old, something new, something "borrowed"....

My cousin borrowed my $150 veil for her wedding 5 years ago and I have yet to get it back! She claims I gave it to her....why the heck would I do that? I keep asking for it back and she gives me the run around.
See what happened was...in 1997 I borrowed a dress from her to wear to prom. I returned it to her and she left it at my aunts house. The place where I lived and she always hung out. My aunt threw it out years later. Now my cousin thinks I should be responsible for it and I think she's keeping my veil because of it.
I want my veil back! My mil picked it out and bought it for me and she has since passed away.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• In my opinion, she has no right to keep it... If you didn't put it in writing that she can keep it then it is still your property and she has to give it back. I know this might sound extreme and you may not want to but if it's something of that importance you can always talk to courts and see what you can do to get it back. I hope she doesn't keep it and realize that it belongs to you and returns it with no consequences.
    imamomof2at25

Answer by imamomof2at25 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would just go over and get it, and like someone else said who needs an old prom dress, its her fault she didn't go get it or at least mention that she still wanted it.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would just go get it. Who needs a prom dress 15yrs later anyway?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Wow. I borrowed my SIL's veil for my wedding but I took it off after the ceremony and gave it back to her right then & there before leaving the church for the reception!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Tell her she is a veil hoarder...I would just go get it...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Storm over there and get it, it's yours and it's her fault she didn't get some old prom dress, prom and wedding materials are too totally different items of importance here and I'm sure most agree marriage ranks first over some long ago date night crap.
    little_lion

Answer by little_lion at 11:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• WOW! Thats an horrible thing for her to do.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You sound like you have already tried all the normal ways to get it back. Did you get her mom (your aunt) involved? Maybe she can help. The only other option is small claims court and that is an expense and hassle. That still is no guarantee she won't damage it.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Exactly! My aunt admitted to throwing it out and said it sat in the spare room for years and everyday my cousin was there she never took it and that's why my aunt thought she didn't want it. I just sent her another email asking for it back again.
    mamaada

Comment by mamaada (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would just go get it.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010