Tips on how to help child gain weight/eat more???

My daughter will be two and a half next month, and is still twenty five pounds. She's become somewhat of a picky eater, but sometimes even when she likes it she won't eat. Whenever she goes through spurts of eating a lot, it doesn't matter b/c she literally runs it off. She's extremely active. I'm curious at how to incorporate more veggies into her food?? Used to like them, now she doesn't. Also what things will help her gain weight? Or what do you do when your child simply stops eating?

We eat meals as a family, and we started not letting her get down, then up, then down, etc so that she realizes she has to eat it all in one sitting, but that only worked for a little while. We're very concerned about her weight and her doctor keeps giving us bogus answers..so any advice is much appreciated :)
Also- M-F she goes to pre-school from 8am-6:30pm (I go to school and work, and her Dad is a 6th gr teacher). She eats fine there..

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Add a lot of good fats. Avocadoes if she'll eat them (my daughter won't, same age and size of yours). Add olive oil into anything you cook for her, it's a good fat and will help her gain weight without adding bad cholesterol.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would not worry too much about it. I have a son who just turned 6 and he is tall and very skinny. He weighs about 40-45 lbs. I asked the doctor and she said he is healthy just thin and she was not to worried. My son is also picky and he does not really like that much "junk" food, he loves pasta with olive oil and cheese, mac and cheese, bread and butter, grilled cheese, yougurt, crackers..those are pretty much his staples of course then we have to battle constipation!!

Just keep giving her variety of foods, believe me she won't let herself starve.I have friends that have taken baby jar food fruits or veggies and added it to sauces, meatballs, etc... just to get the fruits and veggies in the kids and they said you can't even taste it, you can try that. My youngest son won't eat fruit but loves smoothies!! Banana and strawberry, peanutbutter banana,etc..try that..yummy!!
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It may just be normal for her. Two of my kids were like that. I would just continues with what you are doing, and try not to stress out about it....as long as she is getting plenty of quality foods, fresh air and sunshine, she is fine....I would continue to make her sit at the table with the family, and feed her what you are eating....trying to find special things she likes promotes picky eating, I have found....also, just make her eat her veggies, it won't hurt her to do that....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Is the Dr concerned?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Weight gain or loss at this age is something you need to discuss with her Dr. As parents (especially mothers) we have the tendancy to want to ensure that our child is getting (our idea) or nurtured. It could be that she is at a perfect weight and doesn't need to eat any more or gain anything. If she DOES, her Dr. will be able to tell you exactly what they want you to do to meet that goal.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice. My daughter is actually in the 3rd percentile- so she is underweight. Besides that she is extremely healthy, just a picky eater and sometimes rather not eat. Her doctor said avocadoes, but also to put butter/peanut butter on everything- which I personally don't agree with. Thanks for all the advice :D
    lexi8622

Comment by lexi8622 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• my 4 year old son eats just like i do! i can sit and eat all day long and not gain a pound,my son is the same way! i think he doesnt gain weight because he is so active all day everyday....some kids are like that though....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010