What do u consider emotional abuse by your S/O and can it be really that bad?

I have been told by many ppl that what my hubby does is considered emotional abuse~ is there really a such thing and how bad can it effect a person?

sparkle0940

Asked by sparkle0940 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, there is. And yes, it's bad.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• What exactly is he saying? And yes there is such a thing and it can do major damage to that womans confidence and well being, eventually she will begin to believe that its true and that its all her fault. Trust me I speak from experiance, I live with it almost every day.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Does he make you feel like crap or make you cry a lot? That's abuse.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:16 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Omg of course there is such a thing and of course it can be that bad. When a person you love and is supposed to love you is consistenly putting you down, calling you names, and making you feel worthless it can have a major effect on a person's mental well being...they are going to start to believe all those things. A spouse/SO is supposed to bring out the best in you, not make you feel your worse.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Emotional abuse is as hard to get over or harder than physical abuse. Just because its not physically hurting you doesnt mean it is right. Emotional abuse is name calling, putting you down, making you feel worthless, making you feel trapped and stuck...he could be abusing you in many ways. Saying stuff like, "No one else would want you" is just one example...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think emotional abuse is more what YOU would consider it to be. If your DH calls you DUMMY instead of by your name, some might call that emotional abuse, but yet if it doesn't bother you, is that really considered abuse? I don't think so.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There is such a thing, but what one person might see as abuse you may just know is a joke. If he is making you feel terrible about yourself, calling you names that bother you especially in front of the kids, threatening you etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Here is an awesome article I found.

https://wsr.byu.edu/content/warning-signs-emotional-abuse

If he is like this, try counseling or get out.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2010