Christmas- one big toy or lots of small ones???

Ok so of course for Christmas there's a ton of stuff I want to get our daughter. One thing being a play kitchen. I found that I love, but it's a little more expensive. If we get that for her for Christmas, we'll probably only be able to get her one or two other things. DH and I have both have big families, so she'll be getting a lot of stuff from extended family, but still! I want her to have a lot to open on Christmas morning, ya know?

Do you usually buy the kids one big present or a bunch of "smaller" ones??

Leslie120

Asked by Leslie120 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Shopping

• I don't go for size or price; I go for what's appropriate and something my children really want. They each get one gift from Santa and one from Mom and Dad. I never understood the concept of having tons of gifts to open on Xmas morning; that's not what the holiday is about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• We always do one "big" present for the kids and then try to get them smaller ones that don't cost much but they will still enjoy. I say go for the kitchen, get her some other small stuff, and do dollar stocking stuffers for her.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 8:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• we always have done the ONE big gift here....honestly my kids only have like 3-4 presents each under the tree and out of them 2 are always clothing that they NEED!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Last year my daughter got the Rose Petal cottage. This year she will get everything thet goes in it from Nana and we will be getting her 4-5 presents in her age range. We leave the big stuff to the grandmas lol. If you want the kitchen and know she will love it go for it. :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I ussually get my boys one expensive gift, ussually like a video game or somthing I know they really want. I have found in years past if I get them to many things they are overwhelmed and never seem to play with more than one anyway. My advise would be to get the kitchen and if it doesn't come with all the excessories get those as stocking stuffers. We got our youngest a tool bench for his birthday and he also got plenty of other things, but didn't really care about the other stuff, just the tools for the bench! Good Luck!
    Teraesa

Answer by Teraesa at 9:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• this will be our sons first christmas... we are planning on getting him 3-4 bigger gifts and then a lot of small ones... of course since it is his first... we want to do it up big. but i would get her the kitchen and then a few smaller ones. maybe get the accessories for her stocking and get totally different toys for her other small ones. you can always go to the dollar store or the clearance sections. GL
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I'm in the same situation this year, my dd is begging for a kitchen. While I would love to get her one of the huge expensive ones I can't. I did however find a very nice one for under $40 at www.kmart.com (it's in the Sears section just type in play kitchen). We're also doing some smaller things like a couple sets of super cute chopsticks from http://www.hogwildtoys.com/homeandcastle.html#fishsticks
    mmwillow

Answer by mmwillow at 10:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• One big gift each or one BIG gift to share....we have three children ages 10, 5, 2.
    Then, two smaller gifts each. We do not gift tshirts/socks/underpants, either.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• We're doing one big one and asking the grandparents to get the accessories. We got a play kitchen for our DD and are asking the grandparents for the food and pots and pans. We're getting a Leapster 2 learning system for our son and asking the grandparents to get the games. Last Christmas was a little over the top... so we're trying to tone it down this year. I asked the grandparents to save some of their Christmas $$ for clothes this summer because both kids will need new summer clothes, and both kids have winter birthdays.
    icook

Answer by icook at 11:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• We usually get one big thing. It would be a waste to get a bunch of things, b/c my son always ends up playing with things that aren't toys and just pretending, like boxes, kitchen stuff, etc. He also just loves playing outside anyways. We usually get him clothes, t-shirsts, socks, shoes.. You know things he needs. This will be my daughter's first xmas.. so we're getting her clothes. We're also requesting that anyone who wants to get her anything get her clothes. I don't get the millionsn of toys either. We're not rich, and I don't need my kids expecting a huge amount of gifts each year.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 11:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2008