is it normal for a 3 yr old to snore a lot when sleeping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son snores almost as loud as I do! He has since he was about 18 months. He also talks in his sleep.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Not really. My son at that age snored very loudly and at times stopped breathing. We took him to an ENT and he found his adenoids were huge. He still has his adenoids, he's 7 and I think it's time he see his ENT again because he is snoring so loud!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son recently had his tonsils and adenoids removed because he snored so much and would sometimes wake himself from it. The ENT said that it is not normal for a child to snore unless of course they are sick and the sound is coming from being stuffy.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's not "normal" to snore at all. If this is something done on a regular basis, I would be visiting the pediatrician
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• before she was 2 her tonsils were enlarged. She drools, snores, but the snores has happened to get more heavy lately. She did it the other night really fast, and stopped and woke up. It scared me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nope, the snoring and drooling are signs of enlarged adenoids. If she has chronic bad breath, it's a pretty sure thing she has enlarged tonsils and adenoids. My son was born with them and had them removed at 4. After much fighting with the pediatrician because he never had ear infections or tonsilitis. This is can cause sleep apnea as well.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would certainly call a peditrician, my son snores, I try to just have him blow his nose regularly and it seems to help a little bit. It could be sleep apnia (sp?) so def check with the Dr
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Not sure. Sometimes my son snores..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• This is something to discuss with your pedi, especially if it is happening frequently enough for you to notice..
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• OP, get it addressed with your pedi and an ENT doctor. My daughter did the same thing from 2 to 2 1/2. Her tonsils were enlarged at 2 but when she hit 2 1/2 they grew ENORMOUS. She had a sleep study done and they scheduled her for tonsil/adenoid removal right away. It was the BEST thing I ever did for her. She now doesn't snore (unless she's stuffy with a cold) and she sleeps soundly through the night.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2010