vaccines...why do so many assume that parents choose not to vaccinate because of

autism?
it seems that lately; even though "non vaxers" list many reasons to not vaccinate, many posters still seem to believe the only reason we ever had was because of the fear of our children getting autism?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't know, that drives me NUTS too! We do not vaccinate at all! Autism has NOTHING to do with why we choose not to vax - NOTHING! Sure, it's something I think about, because I know many parents who are dealing with it, but honestly it had nothing to do with OUR choice. Instead our choice was based on MANY other issues, like the fact that I have vaccine related injuries...

Now, that stated, I do completely understand the fear that SOME have around Autism and Vaccines, and unlike so many would like you to think, there are studies which directly link vaccines and autism, and even more which have linked the misdiagnosis of Mercury poisoning (which has been proven to be directly caused by vaccines) to the raise in Autism diagnoses...

Either way, I think it's an issue that EVERY parent needs to research and make a choice based on their own beliefs and education rather than propaganda on either side...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Because Many people are uninformed of why people vax or don't vax. I think its just the most wide known reason is all
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• As a mom who chooses to vaccinate, I think it's that we don't understand why you would choose not to. And please, don't take that the wrong way. I don't look down on moms who choose not to or think you're bad moms. Everybody has their own way of doing things and I respect that.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• As a mom who does not vaccinate I don't understand why you would. Autism is the least of my worries when it comes vaccines though that is the reason I started to research them before making my decision. Autism is the reason that is discussed in the media the most and so most people just assume that is why we don't vaccinate. Personally I have no issue with anyone's decision either way as long as it is an EDUCATED decision. I have a list of questions to answer about vaccines and the diseases they supposedly prevent and I can answer those questions for every vaccine out there. I politely tell people who try to chastise me that when they can answer all those questions then I will hold an intelligent conversation with them about it and hand them the paper and walk away. When they realize I am not just blindly jumping on some bandwagon and they usually are just blindly doing things they usually shut their mouths.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I just figured it out, I think people do and don't vaccinate so they can come on here and we can all argue about it every day.

Honestly, I really don't see that happening on here. Just because one person says it, doesn't mean everyone says that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well, I don't assume that. I have heard a LOT of moms say that is one reason why they don't vaccinate, which tells me from the beginning that they aren't very well researched. I've heard plenty of other reasons as well, most of which I don't agree with.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:32 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Originally it was because of the chemical enhancement that we're putting into our body. Those who chose not to vaccinate don't even use Tylonal (Good for them!!). However, as times progressed and the fear factor of media started to grow people changed the reasoning into something completely different. When it really was about the chemicals and not the side effects. It hasn't been proven and cannot be proven that vaccines cause Autism. And saying "My some 'developed' austism after getting vaccinated" is a horrible excuse. For the simple fact that all mental disabilities start from the very beginning in utero. However, some are noticed right away whereas others hibernate and take a year or two to develop fully.

The reason to not vaccinate shouldn't be because of some fear induced reasoning. It should be souly based on research and what is the reality of vaccinating vs. not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i chose not to get my kids vaccinated not because of the autism scare and btw i have a brother and a nephew 11 days apart, my brother was not vaccinated and my nephew was, my brother has autism and my nephew doesnt. i think that vaccines can cause all sorts of problems, not one specifically. and yes i agree that they do save lives, but we also havnt had any kind of a breakout in soooo long, i personally think that the pharmasutical companys are tryying to scare us in to thinking that if we dont get unnesesary vaccines then we will all die horribly. kids get them for things now that i was never vaccinated for, and have never even heard of, and im sure by next year thay will be telling us they need even more.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Because that's what the media tells them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• That's all the media focuses on so that's what the vaxxer's focus on. My son's autism is only part of the reason I stopped vaccinating, not the whole reason.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010