why do appointment centers think anyone is willing to wait one or two months for an appt????

I hate going to the doctor, and when I do make an appointment, its usually an urgent problem. And I absolutely hate that they ask "is an appointment (insert any date a month or more away from the day you call) OK with you?" Really? Why bother asking that when any person with intelligence will realize that no, this problem can't wait. I usually have to pretty much haggle for a closer date for my appointments. Yes, I am capable of understanding why there are no appointments available, but it doesn't make it a bit less irritating.

BTW...I go to military hospitals.

Do you accept appointments that are are months from when you call, or do you try to get a closer date?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 11:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• Then you need to go to urgent care or an ER. They can't control how far out they are booked with other patients.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's a downside to military hospitals. That's why I see civilian doctors.

If it is an urgent problem, they should have urgent care clinics on post for you to go to.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The only time I do that is if it's my annual. Otherwise, no it is not acceptable. You can't predict getting sick or hurt a month in advance. I don't go to military hospitals anymore either. Tricare covers off base hospitals where I am at, and when we move, I am switching to standard.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• When I say urgent, I don't mean emergency type issues....sometimes its for things like uti's, which are not treated in ERs. Right now, I am having urinary incontinence (not the kind where you pee when coughing, sneezing, exercising, etc), and its getting much, much worse.
    art.diva

Comment by art.diva (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Don't know anything about military hosptials but our doc purposely leaves certain number of slots open every day so that if you call with an emergency that needs to be seen in the next day or two they can fit you in. I usually call around 9 am and have an appointment that day. That is one of the reasons I chose the doctor we go to. There are only a certain number of slots a day that they allow to be filled for physicals and well child checks etc. so YES they can control how far out they are booked.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Some civilian hospitals are llike that, too, especially specialist hospitals and the leaders in their field. Like you said - they just don't have more appointments; but yes, it is a bit irritating. I am currently waiting over 5 weeks to see an allergist for the first time.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My drs never makes us wait that long.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thats not acceptable imo! i wait 5 days max but if its urgent i tell the receptionist and im in in the same day
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• military docs would rather see the active duty folks, they dont want to deal with the dependents....thats why they schedule you so poorly..
    if your sick and need to be seen today,you would do better to go offbase,or the er on base, just remember anyone in uniform,no matter how minor their injury or illness is will be seen before you....I remember being soubled over with stomach ulcer pain and an airman in uniform cutting ahead of me with a fricking papercut...seriously a papercut...geesh!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2010