Are you easily startled? (like me)

My dh star led me twice in 1 wk. One time he was laying on the bed I was in the kitchen I go and opened the refrigerator door and I am bending a little to grab whatever I was needing when all of a sudden he is passing behind me yelling at the kids to sit their butts down OMG! I jumped and dropped whatever I had in my hand he gets upset with me bc I am this way...I did not feel like arguing.

The other time was he was in the kitchen I was walking away from him to go to the bdroom our male dog was barking so much that he YELLS OUT SHUT THE HELL UP to the dog which I did not expect him to do he scared the shit out of me. AGAIN he got upset with me that why am I such a chicken :( IDK

How can I deal with this ugly feeling of being startled. Thanks Ladies any response would be helpful. I know it might sound funny now but during that moment it's not. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm very jumpy. I hate it when people come up behind me quietly and startle me (unintentional or not) because for that split second, I am genuinely terrified. How do I deal with it? Well, I've had many a conversation with my husband and children about how it might seem really funny but it's not to me, that it's actually scary and stressful for me. They respect that and even if they don't get it, they make a point not to sneak up on me or make loud, unexpected noises when I don't know it's coming. My husband always makes noise if he's going to enter a room I'm in and my kids have gotten pretty decent at saying "I'm coming up behind you, Mom" if my back is turned.

It's not your fault that you're jumpy; it's just how you're built. I would try talking to your husband about it when it's not actually happening, explaining how it feels to you.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 2:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I am exactly the same way, I can't watch scary movies for this reason, because I jump a mile high!!! You are just made that way, I don't know if there is much you can do about being hypervigilant. I feel ya though, it sucks!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It depends how focused I am on something.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 12:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm generally not a "jumpy" person like that. I don't know that there's anything that you can do about it. Sometimes, it's just the way that you are built. Tell Hubby that it's just who you are ;)
    Charlie98

Answer by Charlie98 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010