My daughter is 6 & is asking for an MP3 player or IPod. How young is too young for one of these music things?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• The kids on the bus all have one sounds like keeping up with the joneses but ultimately its your decision. Just remember that you are the parent not the child and children always want what they can't have. My daughter is 10 and just got one for her b-day this year her auntie found her a cheetah girls one at a yard sale and it works just fine.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 11:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• in my house, 6 would be too young. however, i know several kids that age who have them; also, expensive cell phones, too. not in my house.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You may as well throw $100 out the window right now, because that's all you are doing. They aren't responsible enough manage one of those. They break really easy too. And what music would you put in it, thats appropriate for a 6 yo? I'm sure there is some out there, but I still think it's a bit much.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well, maybe it's a good time to show her she doesn't have to have the same things as everyone else just to fit in, or be okay.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't think it matters what anyone else thinks, it is a personal preference. One thing to keep in mind though, is she mature enough to take care of it?

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'd wait until at least 10 years old or so... I think the fewer electronic gadgets kids have, the more interactive and social they will be later! Even the Nintendo DS and PSP bother me. Kids just seem to shut themselves off from everyone around them. Whatever happened to having conversations with the other kids on the bus?
    debscards

Answer by debscards at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If she genuinely wants on and not because of everyone else having one then that's fine.
    Only get her things she genuinely wants.
    I think an MP3 player is fine for a six year old.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i got my daughter a mp3 player from walmart...it was like $20!!! i got it for her on her 5th birthday. its been a year and a half and it still works perfect!! i liked hers so much, i went out and bought the same one for me..LOL.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It depends on the childs maturity level. My son is 5 and while I don't feel the need to buy him one he uses mine all the time. He is very careful with it and knows to take good care of it. As long as you feel they are responsible enough to not lose or break it I don't see a problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have a MP3 player that I let her use but kids that ride the bus w/her all have 1 & she says she feels left out. I told her as long as I let her use mine she does not need her own right this moment..was I correct?
    girliemom0406

Comment by girliemom0406 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010