Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

My ex just out of nowhere decided that he wanted out daughter, right as I'm about to move. Can he make it so I can't leave with my daughter? adult content

my daughters 4 it's been me and her since day one. He recently heard I was thinking about getting married and now he wants complete custody our little girl. He has never paid child support or offered any support whatsoever.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • It will be decided through the courts. Doesn't sound like a chance he can get full custody but he can get an agreement in place where you can't leave the state or county you are living in.

    Answer by mamaada at 11:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Let him try! Just prove your side and I am sure you will win! If he was there for the child on a regular basis he would definately have a say in you moving away but if he has not I am sure the courts will see that!

    Answer by jem102675 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • He can stop you by going to court so be ready to prove he was never there for her and the judge will more than likely make you stay until the custody battle is over because if he hasnt given up his rights he still has them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • He can file a custody order with the court, and can prevent you from being able to move until your court date.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • I'm gonna sit here and speculate. The whole situation needs to be put in front of a judge. No one here can tell you what will happen.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Sounds like he's doing it just to be vindictive. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row for when he takes you to court, get some legal counsel. I think it's absolute BULLSHIT that parents ignore kids until it's convenient for them to get involved, IMO they don't deserve a second chance after behaving like that.

    Answer by mhaney03 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • If you put him on the Birth Certificate, he does have rights. If you didn't, he will have to prove paternity and can still get visitation.

    if the court determines that it's in your child's best interest to have involvement with him, they can stop your move.

    However, if you can prove that up till now, he has been absent and has not paid any support, they may rule in your favor.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • If you move before he files he will have to serve you while you are in the other state. If you do not have a current order I suggest you file first to establish custody.

    Custody is established through a court and is sometimes determined on who has had physical custody of the child for 6 months or greater. It's easy to file.

    Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Oh and also, a lot of times child support and child custody are two different things.

    Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Custody is normally based upon the parents ability to make decisions aboout the childs life. If they cannot agree, then normally one parent will get sole custody.

    Visitation is a separate part. Even if the other parent doesn't have custody, they are allowed visitation. Now since he has not been an active part in the child's life, he may not get much but it could be enough to make the judge limit your ability to move. Especially if he puts up a good arguement about want to be active in the child's life from now on.

    Child support is another seperate part. If he hasn't been paying or hasn't been ordered to pay, the judge may tell him to start and may require him to pay back support. His not paying may not be enough to allow you to move.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.