Does anyone have any suggestions for places to volunteer?

The thing is, I'm a SAHM with a 13 month old and I'm looking for a place where I can volunteer and take him along. I'm having a hard time finding any place that would be toddler-friendly, but would LOVE to find something. Any suggestions?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Go ring the bell for the Salvation Army. They are always in need of volunteers this time of year. And if the weather is noce you can bring baby in the stroller with you.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• *weather is nice*
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Check with the United Way in your community. I plan to take our oldest at Thanksgiving and helping out.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Go ring the bell for the Salvation Army. They are always in need of volunteers this time of year. And if the weather is noce you can bring baby in the stroller with you. "

That's a great suggestion, but unfortunately, we live in a place that gets VERY cold and snowy. I don't know if I'd want my son out for hours in this weather. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure how you would be able to both pay attention to an active toddler & do volunteer work at the same time, but I suppose you could look into local foodbanks or churches. At least with those activities your toddler might be able to do something to help too, like put cans into a box at a foodbank or something.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Animal Shelter or Humane Society. He can pet the kitties and bunnies, too. He can come with you on the dog walks. Little kids love animals.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I kind of want something that will be weekly, and something that we can do long-term if it works out.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure how you would be able to both pay attention to an active toddler & do volunteer work at the same time, but I suppose you could look into local foodbanks or churches. At least with those activities your toddler might be able to do something to help too, like put cans into a box at a foodbank or something. "

I know, that's the problem, lol. I can keep him occupied almost anywhere, but I'm not sure that any place would expect that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I just thought of something. What about a nursing home, visiting the elderly? Do you think that would be a good idea?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• volunteermatch.org seems to be a good site. You can find something around your area. That's where I found a volunteer job for filling bird feeders all around a retirement home..I can even take my kids if I have to :)
    momof3blondies

Answer by momof3blondies at 12:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010