Thank you Cards for a party - Spin off from another question I read

we had our sons birthday and it was only our parents and a sister from each side.. would we still need to send thank yous when we bought them all food gift bags and said thank you in person to FAMILY? I am not sure on the ediquette of that either.. If it were friends that came, then Yes, we send thank you cards but for family at a brithday party place I paid for where they all got to eat and the kids ( nieces ) all got gift bags?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's necessary, but I always send them anyway. I fgure it's not that hard to do it and it might score me a few goodwill points that I might be able to redeem later. If you have e-mail addresses for everyone you could send thankyou e-mails with pictures attached.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• its up to you. i know my family, especially the aunts and grandparents, love getting handwritten notes from my k-gartner. even when something is misspelled or its abrupt and to the point. its just courtesy, and continues to teach them to acknowledge their thankfulness, since its very easy to take family-giving for granted.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if it was a huge family event then yes i would do thank you cards because whatever it is, it may not happen again but for something small like a birthday party where you already said thank you in person, i wouldnt. (i dont) because there will be many more to come.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think with family it's not really expected but it would be a good way to teach him. My family doesn't usually send thank you notes for birthdays but I always make my dd do it anyway. In my opinion, if they are old enough to understand they are getting a gift, they are old enough to at least help send a thank you
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010