Can I just color my own hair?

I want to color my hair all one color. Can I just go to the beauty supply store and get the things I need to do it myself? What would I need? My hair is already dark with blonde peek-a-boo highlights. I want to color it all around blue black.

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Sure, buy some dye, everything you need is in the box. I personally wouldn't go so drastic. You will get roots before you know it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It would be easier to darken it yourself. I would stick to a professional to lighten it.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i color my hair at home all the time, i just go to like walmart or target, buy the box of hair dye, and call it good, it has evrything you need already in the box. if you have long hair get 2 boxes.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes you can but make sure you buy extra disposible gloves and use towels you don't mind ruining and most importantly follow the directions provided in your kit to a tee. GL.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 11:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sure, but you are risking patches, missed spots, damaged hair, and a huge mess. One color isn't always as easy at you'd think. If you have blonde in your hair you need to repigment or the dark color won't take and you'll have patches.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There are plenty of hair products for "do-it-yourself" hair coloring. Everything you need comes in a kit with directions. You don't necessarily have to go to a beauty supply store you can go to a drug store or a Target or Wal-Mart.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Mompam - my hair is already dark, just want to darken it some more :-)
    mz_erica03

Comment by mz_erica03 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Each time you use a box of color you damage your hair. The professionals have to go to school for a reason.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Just be aware that if you use box color at the store, and you decide you don't like it, you will have a helluva time getting rid of it. And roots look bad when it's dark hair and light roots.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Thanks mrs.coop! :)
    There are MAJOR differences in store color and professional color. If it was fine for everyone, we wouldn't be required to be trained and have a license to do so.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010