Is there a dissorder that is the opposite of anorexia?

I am really trying not to judge a person in my life . I want to understand them but I have to admit I am struggling
This is a person who literally is always consuming calories in liquid or solid form. Who will eat the last kernel of rice left in a pot . Who eats huge portions and goes for 4ths not seconds . She eats very fast too . She is the first to the table and last to leave . She drinks soda straight from a liter bottle . She only drinks juice and soda and says water makes her nauseous .
She takes multiple meds for gerd heartburn acid reflux and other stomach disorders
I met her a year ago and she has nearly doubled in size .
She says if she does not eat every couple of hours she will faint
could this be a medical conditon or is she just lacking in self control
Her weight is inhibiting her success in life as she is not a healthy active bigger person
PLEASE NO HATE

chica1965

Asked by chica1965 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• Yes I think that would be a food addiction. They have eating disorders in MANY forms, not just anorexia / bolemia..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Perhaps compulsive eating?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes she is a compulsive eater. Oprah used to be one and those are the symptoms she talks about. She feels like she will faint if she doesnt eat because her emotions are tied to food.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 12:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't think it would be fair to say she just lacks self control. Sometimes it's not always what you are eating, but what's eating you. And yes, severe obesity, IS a medical condition, a very complex one that not everyone understands.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I feel like she needs help but I feel like to adress the issue would be insulting
    chica1965

Comment by chica1965 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes there is, I don't know what its called. Its a food addiction. I have hypoglycemia, and I need to eat every few hours also but not 4th. Just an apple or cheese or crackers until my mail meal.

Sounds like it really is a problem. Doesn't sound like your being mean at all, sounds like you care about your friend.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would tell her gently and maybe gather as much internet or dr information as you can about where she can go from here rather than even leaving that up to her, that could be all together too over whelming for her to deal with on her own.. would she lose her job to take a leave to get better, is there couseling close she could get help from etc..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, compulsive eating.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• yes, there is a dissorder that causes overeating. not like a medical condition, but a psycological one, same with anorexia and bulimia. people can get things in their head that if they dont eat a certain amount, or too much, or whatever it may be, somthing bad will happen. now not every obese person has this. and it can be very difficult to be around, especially if you are a healthy eater, but they also might not be aware of exactly what and how much they are consuming. people can really get addicted to fats and will start to get sick if they dont get their "fix", as for your friend, can either express your deep concern for her health, or just accept that some people are happy being misserable. now if she asks for help or mentions that its getting out of control, thats a different story and support, support, support.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• That is dangerus. And I don't think its good to take that many medications either. She really needs help. SHe could die young if she keeps going that way. Maybe if you feel that she will listen to you, try suggesting counseling. I am surprised that a Doctor is allowing her to take all the medications for symptoms and not trying to get rid of the cause, the main problem!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010