My 2 month old son has a cough. Its been getting worse through out the week.

I have a 2 month old son. He started to develop a cough after i did. Its been getting worse through out the week, but he doesnt seem like he is sick. he just is coughing more and more. We dont smoke around him at all and dont expose him to smoke. Im taking him to the doctor but im really scared there is going to be nothing they can do because he is so young. Has anyone ever had this happen to them...im really scared that my son will get very sick. And i dont want to loose my son, im just scared. Thank you

JennyBenny183

Asked by JennyBenny183 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he could have croup i think thats spelled right but if you are really worried you could take him to the er to get checked my niece was coughing alot when she was i think 9 months and we took her to the er and we found out she had rsv that can be deadly to babies im not saying he has it just letting you know she was fine after spending like a week in the hospital tho good luck hope hes ok
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Does he have a fever? He probably has a little cold- there's a cold going around right now. My 5 month old and I had it. He had a fever for a couple of days- I used tylenol. He has a little cough and a runny nose. Definitely go see the doc since he's so little to be sure. For us its just a matter of time. Do you smoke though? Just b/c you don't smoke around him doesn't mean it isn't affecting him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• IF he's not running a fever, theres no reason to scared, concerned yes. There are a few things that you can remember that will help you keep things in perspective so that you can make the best choices for your little guy. Fevers are a sign of infection. Fevers aren't bad, they are simply the bodies attempt to fight against whats going on. But if there's no fever, chances are there's either sinus drainage (which can be from a cold, or allergies.) Allergies can be a result of mold, mildew and even dust. This becomes more of a prob. when we close up our houses to run heat and a/c. You are welcome to join us at Common Sense Parenting for more info. :) Have a great Sunday!

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If you are bf'ing, there is no need to worry because he will get all he needs from your breast milk to help him through a cold, if not and he develops fever, contact your doctor.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 1:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If it's just a cough, he is okay.
    Things to watch for: trouble breathing- breathing faster then 50 times in a minute, pulling in of the skin by the neck or chest (go to the doctor to have him looked at right away)
    A fever over 100.5 in any baby under 3 months needs to be seen
    Not eating well

Things that can help:
    Keep the baby at an incline when sleeping.. a bouncy seat works well, or a pillow under the matress of the crib to make a slight slope.
    Humidifier in the room
    Keep the nose clean by using saline drops in the nose and the sucking it our with a bulb syringe

And unlike the pp said, a baby that is breastfed CAN get sick and need more than the milk to make them better. If that were true I would never see a breastfed baby as a patient where I work.... and I see just as many breastfed babies as formula fed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Thank you all for responding. He does not have a fever or a runny nose at all. He doesnt even seem sick. His eating habits have changed slightly but nothing abnormal. He is more fussy and just has this wet cough. i really am terrified of Whooping cough. I dont want him to get that. Im just so worried. He is formula fed due to complications with my milk, but he has been so healthy since he was born. No problems what so ever. Im just so confused because he doesnt seem sick he just is coughing, and its getting worse......
    JennyBenny183

Answer by JennyBenny183 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Was he Immunized against Whooping Cough? It could be Bronchitis. He would just need antibiotics for that.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Whooping cough has a very distinct sound. Kinda like the name itself, with a deep whoop sound. My children's pediatrician was the doctor that developed the whooping cough vaccine. Incrediably enough, doctors do not administer the vaccine at the correct times. I did quite a bit of research on this and even the CDC could not say why they administer this vaccine on the schedule that they do. The human body cannot build antibodies against the whooping cough until 5 mo. of age. Even the CDC admitted to me that they are seeing alarming numbers of whooping cough each year and could not exactly say why. None of my Ped.'s patients every contracted WC.
    Well, in the end, I don't believe that your child has wc. If he did, he'd be a very sick little fella. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2008