anything to break up this horrible congestion?

ive been sick for like two weeks now. first it started with a sore throat and horrible deep wet cough, low fever, then that went away and i was feeling okay for a few days. then we got another cold spell here in florida and now im sick again. slight cough this time nothing like it was but horrible, thick congestion deep up my nose. i have had no appetite and no thirst today, forced myself to eat a piece of dry toast. when i can actually get something out thru blowing, it's green. i know i have an infection, but with no medical insurance and 3 kids im going to have to wait til atleast friday when we get paid to go to a doctor. i just want to break up this congestion some how, it is so thick that my eyes are low and heavy and i sound terrible when i talk. what can i do?? dayquil is making it worse! :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• Go buy some Mucinex DM. I take half a pill every 12 hours. Anytime I get a cold it gets horrible and I end up with bronchitis that lasts for months. I started taking the Mucinex at the first sign of congestion and the last two colds I have had only lasted 7 days, instead of the normal 30-45. It doesn't make you feel any better while taking it, but it does break up any of that gunky stuff and clears it out.

Hope you feel better soon!
    hope your feeling better soom Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• love the pic!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Mucinex is the best for congestion. It is a bit pricey, but worth it in the end.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Pineapple Juice
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Feel for you. Try Buckley's medicine for congestion & cough etc it worked well for me tastes like crap but feels good going down. Get lots of rest & steam yourself int he bathroom with the hot water to help clear you up a little. Do it a few times a day if you can & use a humidifier in the room if you have one & rub vicks on your chest. This is all I can suggest as I just went through this & it sucks bad especially when you have to take care of your children also. GL to you & get better.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• yes sorry for the infection you are going to need a prescription if its green that is not good.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010