My baby is eating 5oz every 2 to 3 hours is that ok?

My 6 week old is eating 5 ounces every 2.5 to 3 hours, is tht ok or should I try to cut him back to less ounces or try to make him go longer? I dont want him to be too fat.

Happyfacecookie

Asked by Happyfacecookie at 12:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is really had for an infant to over eat. As long as you aren't forcing him to Finish a bottle or offering bottles when he isn't truly hungry you are fine. He is just growing!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Funny story.....

The hospital told me that my sons tummy was so little and not to feed him more then 2 oz at a time... So when we got home and he was hungry and kept eating I freaked... I called the hospital and her answer was

Feed him until he is full and stops eating. They will stop eventually :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• IMO, that may be a little too much. If he were eating 5 oz every two hours, that could amount to 60 oz a day. And as for the pp saying that infants won't overfeed, they WILL out of a bottle.

Here's a good guideline..

http://life.familyeducation.com/formula-feeding/baby/39374.html
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• He's doing fine. He will refuse if he is full. You do not want to cut back if he is content and sleeping well. Being overweight should not be a concern for him right now. Relax and enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Have you tried offering a paci first, sounds like your little one likes to suck. At that age it is to much, the rule of thumb is to offer him 2.5 ounces of formula per pound of body weight each day. So if your baby weighs 6 pounds, you'll give him about 15 ounces of formula in a 24-hour period. If he weighs 10 pounds, he should drink about 25 ounces in a 24-hour period.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Infants are like everyone else if they over eat they will get a tummy ache and most will vomit because of a weak hital (that's why infants spit up is because of the weak hital.) Ask his doctor if he's not worried about it just wait for him to ask for food don't offer the bottle till he cries and possibly shows other signs that he is hungry.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 3:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• AT this stage don't worry about how many ounces your baby is drinking. It's important that you keep with that, your baby will tell you when it's full or wants more. I was concerned at first to, he wanted 8-9 oz bottles by the time he was 5 months. And it went up and down through out the year.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Some added thoughts............When I answered previously I was assuming you wait until he is showing signs of hunger by crying to feed him. Also, sometimes they cry because they are tired. I am also assuming you have worked out a eat, awake, sleep routine by now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• yes we have an eat, awake, sleep, routine. I try everything I can before I just give him the bottle and let him set the pace and how much he wants.
    Happyfacecookie

Comment by Happyfacecookie (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• you know weight has a lot to do with it as well... I was thinking about this. I seem to remember a guide line of 2-2.5 oz per pound when I was formula feeding regularly. a 12 pound baby would drink 24-30 oz a day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010