Is there any place to live in California where...

you're not too far from warm beaches in the summer, and snow in the winter? Anywhere from 2-4 hours to get to either one. I've been trying to research, but it's hard when I don't know where to look.

I love the occasional snow and my husband loves the beach, as long as it's not freezing all year long! We both agree that California would be nice. We currently live in Arizona and I personally miss having all four seasons in the year!

ours

Asked by ours at 12:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Travel

• No where real fun.
    But what somes to mind is the Sacramento area, it dead between the Sierras and San Fran.

If your into SoCal, I can think of much inland, as its mostly desert in SoCal. I'm thinking the Ojai Valley area in Ventura County or further inland towards Bakersfield, but thats a fair drive from the coast.

Napa Valley is very nice, but it also is a good deal from the coast.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• check anywhere in the Bay Area.. Santa Cruz to the south and Tahoe to the north east
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• IDK I lived in San Diego one winter and I would go to the beach a lot. It never snowed and only rained like twice.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 12:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Anything south of Ventura (like LA, San Diego and Orange Counties) will get you farther from the mountains and further into the desert and hotter climes. In other words stay north of Los Angeles. The Bay area is a better bet.
    Anonymous

• I live in San Diego. it's 20 miles East to Julian, where you get snow, and it's 20 miles to the ocean where you get sand. And since you are from Az, the high temps of our area aren't as bad as you are used to, so you should be fine here..... that is if you can afford outragious housing prices, in some areas.
    squeekers

Answer by squeekers at 12:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Santa Cruz is almost cold all summer..but with Global warming, this is the place to be. We have majestic redwoods to live in or drive to with neat markets and great organic foods and wines. lots of coast to choose from and the hills start right away so people can live back from the wind and still get a huge ocean views.

now we are a cut off from big cities like san jose or LA so it is a much different huntington beach or malibu

we have a big surf, sailing ocean culture, an uc campus (camp redwood), kinda cool bar and music thang, we have dance and artists.

we have gangs, but some funded programs too~i would only move from here to something more isolated like Bodega Bay or old farmer land in Petaluma..(the more isolated the higher the population of cool artists or ocean buffs~concentrated coolness).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• So. Cali in San Diego, but you better make over 100k a year to make it there. And taxes will be higher next year, sorry
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Does it snow anywhere near Burbank, CA? My husband just mentioned that he could get transfered to the airport there for his job.

What about for a near by warm beach? I'm trying to look on the internet right now.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• San Diego does sound nice though. I wonder if there's a small town a little outside of San Diego that might be a little cheaper.

I go to college right now just to further my education and we wouldn't move until I graduated. I was thinking of also going to Paul Mitchell to learn how to be a hair stylist since I seem to already have a natural talent and interest in it. I know right now that San Diego would be a great place for a talented hair dresser to make a worthwhile amount of money. I wonder how the extra money would work out with the extra expense of just LIVING in San Diego.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sacramento!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010