How do you clean your jewelry. Are there different methods for good jewelry and costume?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 12:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• IDK about costume jewelry but I buy gold cleaner for my gold and as far as silver NEVER use store bought silver cleaner it makes it look worse, instead make a paste of baking soda and water then gently scrub with an old toothbrush, rinse, and dry with a lint free cloth.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 12:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• For real jewelry i heard you can scrub it with toothpaste. My friend just cleaned my ring like that and it looks awesome!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Toothpaste.

Vinegar.

They also sell jewlery cleaner ;)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I buy that thing of jewlery cleaner from walmart that you just put your jewelry in to and let sit.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 12:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I also use toothpaste to clean my wedding ring it works for me. And sometimes I let it sit in backing soda for a couple hour and then rub it off it gives it a good shine.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The jewelry cleaner they sell at the store is basically one part windex with two parts water... (I used to work at a jewelry store) You can clean anything red, white, or blue with a jewelry cleaner, but not emeralds, opals, or other stones... it will scratch or ruin them... Clean those with toothpaste or soap and water, except for opals... they can be cleaned only with soap and water or you risk cracking them. I really couldn't tell you about costume jewelry because I have only worked with the real stuff... but for the gold and silver, the above answers are really good....!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 12:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I heard once that ashes are really good for cleaning gold. Rub it in and wash it off. I have never done it, but I guess it could be worth a try, it couldn't hurt.
    Jessica131

Answer by Jessica131 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010