For Official Tax Purposes ...

Do I need to keep original receipts or is a photocopy okay? These long, long, long receipts with surveys to win whatever are driving me crazy, I'd love to photocopy them onto a standard sized piece of paper and put them in a binder to stay more organized. If I get audited though, will they ask for the originals? Anyone know?

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Most receipts are printed on NCR paper and after 6 mos the paper fades to white and nothing shows up. I scan all my receipts into the computer to keep track. Nothing is more frustrating to pull out a receipt that has faded to nothing and no way to show what was originally on it.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think they prefer originals if they need them.

Why not fold them up to the appropriate size and glue them on a sheet of paper to be placed in a binder?
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If you have a filing cabinet, you can create folders, one for each year, and store your receipts that way.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Keep all of your original receipts, if fact, keep everything that is even remotely financially-related. Better safe than sorry.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010