toddler telling you no

My son will be 3 in a couple months. He's really starting to say no to me a lot in a somewhat disrespectful way. I get that when they are a year old they don't really know any better, but he definately knows what he's saying and I think it's disrespecful. He's not by any means a brat and he does listen to me quite a bit, but every once in awhile he will raise his voice and say no. Any advice on what to do?

britthoch2010

Asked by britthoch2010 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• make it clear why its not appropriate. Thats a well travelled bridge, mom. ;-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Welcome

:) hahahahaha

It's a phase ;) You can start to explain that we don't speak to grownups that way and start with some sort of repercussion to actions and words. It won't last forever if you nip it in the butt now.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• hes just trying to find his own voice. my son is 3 and says it alot too, but when i express that im the boss, he gets over it quickly.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Maybe give him timeout or take away a favorite toy. just explain to him why you are doing it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree tell him why not to say it and that's it's not good to yell back when he's upset. I've stop from tell my son no every time he does some wrong because eventually he will start saying it back to me . I just " that's not nice Josiah " and he knows what I mean. My mother thinks it silly but I think it works .

waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 12:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• lmao, he is is own person, he is going to tell you know! What YOU need to do is decide if it REALLY means THAT much! If he says no to a drink, let him make the choice milk or water? Or to clothing, red shirt or blue shirt. It makes him feel big, cuts down on the nos, and it does not hurt you one bit.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Give him as many choices as you can regarding anything he does or the clothes he will wear, etc. He needs to know he has some control over his world. For other things just stay calm when he resists and explain why things will be done your way. Punishmnet should be a last resort. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• give him a swift pop upside the head and say loud and clear DONT YOU TELL ME NO!!!!
    Anonymous

• It's the age and a phase... When my 3 yr old tells me No I look at her and say WHAT?! I don't want to hear No... If she still doesn't do what I've asked I will start counting.. By 2 she's moving her butt to do what I want or she knows it's time out time...
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i would tell him at eye level you dont tell me no . now say sorry mom and make him say that, sorry mom. it worked for me.
    just as a general rule my kids do not tell me what to do. they may ask me but they don't tell me.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010